Square Oriental Lidded Dish..Joint Project

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Charlie_W

Charlie_W

This is one of the pieces from a Jimmy Clewes workshop last fall. I just got around to sanding and finishing it several weeks ago. The dish and the lid are both curly maple. They are from separate pieces giving it the look of a different wood on the lid. The chatoyance and grain make this special.

The dish is 7" square and the lid is 3" square. Combined height is only 2 13/16".
I finished it with two or three coats of Tung Oil Finish and then Beall buffed to a soft sheen.

Before I applied the finish, I gave it to my Wonderful Wifey to do some pyrography. I wanted her to shade/burn the edges. The pyro not only adds color and defines the edges but also adds texture to this otherwise smooth piece. She then used a ball tip and burnt the inside of the little box. For some reason, it looks like hammered copper! Again, color and texture. She added a little detail inside the lid and signed the bottom for us.
She was afraid at first that she would "mess it up" but I said to go for it.
I think she did a superb job on taking my plain Jane turning and kicked it up!

Attachments

• IMG_1365.jpg
    IMG_1365.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_1366.jpg
    IMG_1366.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_1367.jpg
    IMG_1367.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1368.jpg
    IMG_1368.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_1369.jpg
    IMG_1369.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

That lidded dish is SO attractive .... I love it !! Congratulations to both of you !! The second picture (side-on) really brings out the Oriental theme .... somewhat resembles the roof of a pagoda.

Last edited:

Charlie_W

That is beyound cool. Great creativity in the design and beautiful craftsmanship. I like the dark edges. Can I copy this idea?

Thanks William!
Jimmy Clewes gets the credit for the creativity here!( and my Wifey!) I do not possess the art brain in this house! I was just following his direction.
Sure, you can have a go at it!

Part of the design here is that the lid mimics the base design and that the curve of the little box area is continued up through onto the lid bringing the eye up to the finial. The up-raised corners also lead the eye upwards.
You can use a totally different, darker material for the lid such as blackwood or ebony if you like.

The key is high speed turning and sharp tools so the trailing corners don't splinter. The initial block needs to be very square with smooth edges and work from exact center.

I would like to see what you come up with!

Top Bottom