Spray lacquer or poly over CA??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jaywood1207

Has anybody ever sprayed lacquer or polyurethane over a CA finish and did you have any problems with compatibility of the 2 materials. I have a shave brush with a CA finish that I had engraved and will colour fill but I want to add some protection over the colour fill and CA is not an option. Tried that and had to take it off and get it engraved again so don't want to go there again.

KenV

I have used CA as a sealer and finished with a number of other finishes with success. If you have a final polished finish, you may want to make it to a matte finish with a fine abrasive such as steel wool. Waxes are fatal unless you use a shellac seal coat first.

Me -- I would lightly steel wool it, use a coat of white shellac, since several of the color fills are wax based, to seal the surface - and then put a finish coat(s) of urethane over it --
See Les Elm's tutorial on his dip finishes for an good example of a urethane surface finish.

Quality Pen

I have used CA as a sealer and finished with a number of other finishes with success. If you have a final polished finish, you may want to make it to a matte finish with a fine abrasive such as steel wool. Waxes are fatal unless you use a shellac seal coat first.

Me -- I would lightly steel wool it, use a coat of white shellac, since several of the color fills are wax based, to seal the surface - and then put a finish coat(s) of urethane over it --
See Les Elm's tutorial on his dip finishes for an good example of a urethane surface finish.
What do you mean by "waxes are fatal"?

Thanks,
Bobby

G T Smith

Jamie you have raised a good question. The others have suggested polyurethane. I have been using Deft Lacquer for about 10 years. I don't spray it. I use a paper towel to apply it and use hand pressure to create heat. Once you feel heat the finish is dry enough to use the palm of your hand to dry it completely. Three coats of hand-rubbed lacquer are extremely durable and can be applied in about 10 minutes. Since most pen turners are using CA the finish created with lacquer is distinctive and showcases the wood grain. One caveat - lacquer will attack most plastics. I don't know if it will adversely affect CA. Lacquer and water-based poly are not compatible. For the cost of a couple of cans of spray lacquer you can buy a quart of High-Gloss lacquer which will finish a lot more pens. My favorite level of finish does not require any further polishing. Just use a soft paper towel to buff it. One other point - I thin the lacquer with 40% thinner. Finally move the tool rest away from the mandrel when you are hand rubbing. The water-base poly does yellow the wood. Lacquer is translucent and does not change the color of the underlying wood or wood finish.
Glenn

Top Bottom