Craft Coat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kyaggie

Hello all,

This isn't necessarily a review but I have found my "go to" finish for pepper mills, bottle stoppers and handles for things like coffee and ice cream scoops... Walnut Oil followed by Gloss Craft Coat. My initial experience with Craft Coat was that even though it gives a what seems to be a very durable, water resistant top coat, it doesn't penetrate the wood deep enough to really make the grain "pop." So I experimented a bit and have settled on saturating the wood with all of the walnut oil it wants and then "setting" that with high rpms and some friction heat. Next comes 6, or so, coats of Gloss Craft Coat using the same Craft Coat saturated part of a blue shop paper towel for each coat and ~1 minute between coats. After the last coat, let it sit for ~15 minutes and then polish with a well used 1000 grit Abralon Pad to give it a nice smooth feel. The result is a gloss (but not glass) finish that has the grain popping depth as well as the feel and hopefully the durability of standard polyurethane but at a fraction of the application time. I don't really like the glass-like finish but I think that a full round of Micro Mesh pads would give you a super gloss, near CA finish with a more forgiving and less smelly/irritating application process.

Your milage may vary but I'm really happy with this finish!

Mike

Attachments

• CharleysMills.jpg
    CharleysMills.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 238

kyaggie

Yes, more like wood than CA, the same wood feel as polyurethane and less wood feel than Wooddoctor's Pens Plus.

Mike

Top Bottom