Spintops / Corian / Anyone?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from refueler1

refueler1

Anyone tried making spintops out of corian. I was cutting up some corian today and the thought crossed my mind. Have never seen any threads on this topic.......

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

I've never done it myself but several of the members of the local turning club I belong to have. They come out great but are much heavier than wood tops. The ones they make are finger tops.

Rick P

I make them out of birch and give them to kids at Gunther's day care or shows........they love them and like to decorate them with markers so I never bother with a finish.

refueler1

My son-in-law has made a bunch of them.He has had a pretty good market for them.

Does he make them with beads and coves or just a straight stem? Just wondering how hard it is to sand and polish beads and coves and such on corian. Was wondering if you can get rid of concentric sanding lines?

JAZNCARR

sanding lines

Corian is acrylic. But u stil get the sanding lines. If you don't stop the lathe occasionally and sand "with the grain". Also.wet sanding with Micro mesh and plastic polish take out you mark lines as well.. as far as beads and coves go... your gona have to sand the jesus out of it. But its possible.. cutting a old set of mm pads. So they are triangle will help u getin and sand. The tight spots.... good luck

Sent from motorola droid

refueler1

Corian is acrylic. But u stil get the sanding lines. If you don't stop the lathe occasionally and sand "with the grain". Also.wet sanding with Micro mesh and plastic polish take out you mark lines as well.. as far as beads and coves go... your gona have to sand the jesus out of it. But its possible.. cutting a old set of mm pads. So they are triangle will help u getin and sand. The tight spots.... good luck

Sent from motorola droid

OK,,, no beads or coves then. I hate sanding so I will keep them simple in design. Wonder what size I should make the corian blanks,,,,,2x2 and stack them about 5 pieces tall?

JAZNCARR

stacking

Thatworks. Too.. just be careful when ur sanding about. The. Heat.... heat is. Ca. Glues. Arch nemesis.... also when ur gluing, wipe your surfaces down with denatured alcohol. Don't. Use. Laquer thinner.. good luck. Pm me with any questions

Top Bottom