Spent the money!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I have been seeing many questions and answers for turning between centers. Yesterday, I ordered the TBC mandrels, MT2, from Exotic Blanks. It shipped that afternoon. That's service! I have several kits sitting on the bench to be turned in anticipation of a craft show in May. Plus cutting some wood for a few small turnings to accompany the pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bugradx2

I have been seeing many questions and answers for turning between centers. Yesterday, I ordered the TBC mandrels, MT2, from Exotic Blanks. It shipped that afternoon. That's service! I have several kits sitting on the bench to be turned in anticipation of a craft show in May. Plus cutting some wood for a few small turnings to accompany the pens.
let us know how you like the TBC. What is your current setup for turning pens?

Out of curiosity, what are your small turnings going to be?

leehljp

Member Liaison
That TBC mandrel system will work well. However, the regular bushings (from my long experience) also work well directly between 60° centers - if the bushings are well within normal tolerances - i.e. no off center hole.

That said, 60° bushings are usually turned to higher tolerances than normal made-for-mandrel bushings. Either way, TBC does eliminate the problems that mandrels create.

And one more comment: I noticed long ago, that the problems that mandrels do create for many pen turners just getting started, the long experienced turners with keen minds (of turning bowls, vases, spindles, and even pens) know their lathe well and are usually very adept at overcoming these problems.

Woodchipper

bugradx2, I have the Woodcraft mandrel that can handle two short blanks at one time. Small turnings will be end grain platters or dishes. May get ambitious and make some lidded bowls. My wife has some recipes for sugar free hot chocolate mix. We have a good stock of jars which can take a decorative turning on the lid ring. Will make sure I take some photos for critique by the members.

bugradx2

bugradx2, I have the Woodcraft mandrel that can handle two short blanks at one time. Small turnings will be end grain platters or dishes. May get ambitious and make some lidded bowls. My wife has some recipes for sugar free hot chocolate mix. We have a good stock of jars which can take a decorative turning on the lid ring. Will make sure I take some photos for critique by the members.
Thanks John, appreciate knowing. I keep saying one of these days I'm going to try a platter or bowl and just haven't take a shot at it yet. I have done selections of stoppers and ornaments over the years for things too. Platters would be fun to learn.

Kent

Woodchipper

Thanks John, appreciate knowing. I keep saying one of these days I'm going to try a platter or bowl and just haven't take a shot at it yet. I have done selections of stoppers and ornaments over the years for things too. Platters would be fun to learn.

Kent
There are lots of good videos on YT. My favorite, saved as a favorite, is Mike Peace. Combines woodworking with a bit of humor. Second is Lyle Jamieson; I have his video of four hours, digested an hour at a time. It might be on YT in segments. Good luck. One good turn deserves another!

Top Bottom