Pretty neat idea!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

I seen this on facebook. Guy is using a long 1/4" rod for CA finishing pens. He does Not turn with this, just does finishing. Thought it was a pretty cool idea!

1000006783.jpg
1000006784.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

This is actually brilliant. I have been using multiple mandrels for CA finishing - Swapping out one mandrel at a time to apply the CA, then remove it and set it aside to dry while I install another mandrel with more blanks to apply CA to. One quarter inch rod could hold all of the in-process blanks. I will try this tonight! Thanks for sharing.

egnald

This is a good idea for batch processing.

Although I'm sure 1/4-inch rod would work good with HDPE Finishing Bushings, depending on the quality and tolerances, it would likely be too tight to be used as a turning mandrel shaft. Standard "A" / "7mm" mandrel shafts are typically specified as 0.247-inches +0 / -0.002 inches depending on the manufacturer or supplier.

Instead, I use Tight-Tolerance size "D" Drill Rod which is specified as 0.246-inches +/-0.0005 inches which is a very good replacement for standard "A" / "7mm" mandrel shafts. On rare occasions, some of my bushings feel just a little bit too tight on it though, so I switch to a mandrel shaft made from "C" Drill Rod which has a slightly smaller diameter of 0.242-inches +/-0.0005 inches.

I get my Tight-Tolerance Drill Rods from McMaster-Carr at about $9 for 3-foot lengths.

Regards,
Dave

PS Another good tip is that HDPE finishing bushings can be dropped in a small jar of Acetone (readily available to most USA residents except for California). HDPE is not readily damaged by Acetone, but it is a very good solvent for Cyanoacrylate (CA) - it will clean them up good as new.

Darios

Seeing there is 8 blanks on that rod, I figure it can't be any longer than 36". With the lathe turning at low speed, I wouldn't think there would be enough flex to cause problems applying a simple ca finish.
Can confirm as I use something similar. Not that long though.

egnald

Funny thing Dave is that I stumbled across this idea because I cribbed your suggestion for these drill rods. I went and bought an extra when and one day I was looking at the unused rod and then one of my unused mandrels and, as they say, light bulb!
Cool. Unfortunately the first thing I did when I got them was to cut them all down to mandrel lengths. Now I wish I had a long one so I could batch finish some pens for troops like this. - Dave

bsshog40

This is actually brilliant. I have been using multiple mandrels for CA finishing - Swapping out one mandrel at a time to apply the CA, then remove it and set it aside to dry while I install another mandrel with more blanks to apply CA to. One quarter inch rod could hold all of the in-process blanks. I will try this tonight! Thanks for sharing.
Let us know how it goes please!

KMCloonan

Let us know how it goes please!
So far, not so well... Standard 1/4" metal rod stock diameter is too large to fit most of my CA bushings. I know I bought some CA bushings a couple years ago that were too large for my mandrels, but I think I threw them away. I will try to figure out where I bought them and get some more. If anyone knows where I can get CA bushings with a larger ID hole, please let me know. I can also try sanding down the rod to reduce the diameter, or I can drill out some bushings.

bsshog40

So far, not so well... Standard 1/4" metal rod stock diameter is too large to fit most of my CA bushings. I know I bought some CA bushings a couple years ago that were too large for my mandrels, but I think I threw them away. I will try to figure out where I bought them and get some more. If anyone knows where I can get CA bushings with a larger ID hole, please let me know. I can also try sanding down the rod to reduce the diameter, or I can drill out some bushings.
You can always buy an HDPE rod and make your own custom bushings.

Top Bottom