Spectraply discussion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MDWine

(sorry for the length and random synapse firings...)

A couple of weeks ago, our local turners club (Capital Area Woodturners) had a demo. One of the demos was of a broach (for lack of a more accurate term). It was a ring of wood (Spectra) and a "pin" (straight spindle) that is used to push through the fabric inside the ring to hold it on... horrible description, but it is more of a "Scottish thing" I think.

What I am quite enamored with is the pin. This pin, in a bit more length and a few ornamental coves and beads, is also a hair pin.

The turner used the resin based Diamondwood. So, being interested and enthusiastic, I started looking for Diamondwood... and you probably have seen my result in another thread, that Spectra is the only option I could find.

Now, I haven't actually turned anything yet, I'm still trying to find my lathe under all of the debris, but I did order several samples of wood from Cousineau.

I got several pieces of 1/4 x 3(?) x 41, and a couple 3/4" dowels 41 inches long. That may be a good start.

As you might know, this stuff is NOT CHEAP! My disappointment is that there are no pieces that are, say, and inch thick. I want something to make not only the pins/sticks, but also "finger tops".

My initial thought with my purchase is to glue up some pieces to make a few tops, but I would rather skip that task and get to turning!

My question is whether or not there are larger pieces, or are you guys/gals gluin' up your own? I can find only one source (Cousineau), and wonder if I am just not using the right term or search pattern.

Thoughts and comments would be appreciated!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithncsu

Cousineau sells the dowels in larger diameters. You just have to select it in the drop down. Unless they don't have it in the color you're looking at. Ordered a 3/4 the other day and and they send something that looked 1 1/4 so they definitely have it.

MDWine

Yep, I saw the sizes, but anything in a larger block was hundreds of dollars.
I guess they don't understand pen turners.
Maybe we do a group buy and slice it up... could be an answer!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Yep, I saw the sizes, but anything in a larger block was hundreds of dollars.
I guess they don't understand pen turners.
Maybe we do a group buy and slice it up... could be an answer!

Do you really need dowels or large panels for those type of projects? Why not just buy their 1.5x1.5x11 blanks for $10?

They also have 2x2x11 blanks for $12 and 3x3x11 blanks for $16

keithncsu

I got the 3/4 one for $10 when they were having the recent sale. Picked up a few other pieces of normal panels for $7. That 1 1/4 or whatever size round stock they sent me was HUGE. I didn't even want to think about cutting it up or making a pen out of it haha.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I did not go to the "Cousineau" website to compare, but this is an option for you to consider.

You can purchase a wide variety of 1/6" x 3" x 12" lengths of many species (as well as other dimensions as needed) from:

Mahogany Lumber Packs and Boards, D and D Woodcrafts

If, you wish to make your own blocks, a 1" x 1" x 6" block (with a variety of woods) will cost you $5.00-$6.00 with some S/H. A 1/16" x 3" x 12" length will give you 6 strips, so a 1" x 1" x 6" block/blank will need 16 strips.

A 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 6" block/blank would cost about $7.00 - $8.00.

These estimates will go up if you pick some exotics.

You will have to do the glue-ups, but if there is any cost savings to doing it yourself, you can choose your own colors, and cut then as you wish.

FWIW: The quality is excellent in my opinion. I'm sure there are other internet sources also. I usually finish-mill my strips, but these are very good right from the box.

Not sure if this is helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_2918.jpg
    IMG_2918.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:

jttheclockman

Wow Mark, D&D woodcrafts. That brings back memories. They have a lot of my money. They use to sell scrollsawn project woods. Back in the day scroll sawn projects were about the use of many different colored woods of different thicknesses and sizes. That company found a niche and started putting together packages for certain kits because most people did not have the wearwithall to have them done any other way. That is how I started. They have been around a long time and from my memories they had top quality wood for sale. They use to come to the scroll saw picnics and sell also. A trip down memory lane. :):):)

KenV

Michael. The people I make them for call them shawl pins, and the base is often turned with an offset opening. Knitters like them for use with knitted shawls.

I have turned the pins from dense hardwoods, and with spectra ply. It is important that the grain runs parallel to the shaft of the pin.

Acrylic pen blanks quartered work too. The blanks with inclusions break.

Corian breaks easily.

Boxwood, blackwood, and ebony hold great detail.

Spectra ply will make knitting needles turned to a 12 inch blank finished to 10 inches

Diamond wood can be brittle, depends on which one.

I have on my to-do list to cactus juice some spectra ply and see if my success rate improves with knitting needles less than 2.75 mm.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
As to my info stated above, I just looked at the Cousineau website.

A 1.5" x 1.5" x 11" block is $10.00. So no real savings to make it yourself. While there may be more clear separation in colors if you use non-dyed woods, as well as the ability in use veneers between layers, this will be an individual decision.

Good luck.

MTViper

AAW magazine had an article on shawl pins in the last 2-3 months. I remember reading it but don't remember which issue it was in.

You might want to order a Dymalux panel rather than dowel. A 0.375x10x41 panel will make a lot of shawl pins but it costs $61.50. About once every 2-3 months they run clearances on overstocks so you might wait until then to get what you want, only problem is they have limited sizes and colors then.

Top Bottom