SPALTED OAK + POLYMER CLAY = Wallstreet Click

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RHossack

RHossack

Last week I did a Tutorial for a Rod Building site about using CA as a finish.

I started with a really punky piece of Spalted Oak that had a lot of fissures and cracks and holes where the spalting had fallen out.

6274983SORS-CA_001-800.jpg

I cut off the good end and made a reels seat and the plain looking oak jumped to life

5729575SORS-CA_002-800.jpg

What was left over was the small piece of worthless wood that was just right for a Wallstreet Click Pen.

I had the fortunate pleasure of having to go to Micheal's numerous last week as my wife saved me a bunch of money by using some 50% off coupons.

I got some Polymer Clay for $1.00

I cleaned out the spalting and packed the hole full of Polymer Clay and baked it for one hour.

Wasn't sure how the PC would adhere to the wood but it was no problem.

4634375SOPC_002-800.jpg

Turned it on the lathe and this is the results and I think this has some promise.

2702519SOPC_004-800.jpg

9402972SOPC_005-800.jpg

4564133SOPC_03A-800.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jmhoff10500

Polymer Clay you said? that will definitely be on my next shopping list... even though i always feel weird walking into Michaels alone, people stare at the single men walking through, and women seem to give their children tight hugs when i walk by:eek::biggrin:

jbostian

That is a good looking pen. I have thought about eperimenting with polymer clay. Next time I am by a Micheals I might have to run in and get some.

Jamie

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Polymer Clay you said? that will definitely be on my next shopping list... even though i always feel weird walking into Michaels alone, people stare at the single men walking through, and women seem to give their children tight hugs when i walk by:eek::biggrin:

Jonathon, maybe it is a "Man In The Mirror" problem!!

:biggrin::tongue::biggrin:

RHossack

Thanks for all the comments.

Been reading about PC for a while and I got my daughter-in-laws a couple of PC pens for Christmas and have thought about all the Worthless Wood candidates around here and this opportunity presented itself to test it out.
Looks Nice, Great finish on it.
Well thank you ... I'm not happy with it but it will suffice.

My garage was 27ºF when I applied the CA and that is an experience in itself and haven't figured out the process fully yet in these temps.

markgum

Awesome. will have to try that since it is less expensive than inlace..wonder what would happen if you mixed in a few pieces of metal shavings to give it a sparkle??? hmmm

Top Bottom