Spalted Ambrosia Maple Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Charlie_W

Charlie_W

In October, our wood turning club had Ashley Harwood come and demo at our monthly meeting and also do 3 days of workshops! Workshops are loads of fun!

This bowl was our "dry bowl" project. I had rough turned this piece of spalted ambrosia maple last December. Ashley was teaching us the "push cut" technique to get better cuts with less tear out and sanding. I had roughed it out with a wide thick side rim. Ashley suggested the narrow beaded rim...Excellent suggestion!
At the time of this pic, it had only one coat of walnut oil. I am now adding 2 coats of tung oil finish to enhance the grain and give it a low luster sheen. it finished at 12.5" dia. and stands 6" tall.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_0567.jpg
    IMG_0567.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0568.jpg
    IMG_0568.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1133.jpg
    IMG_1133.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1135.jpg
    IMG_1135.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_1137.jpg
    IMG_1137.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 181
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

paintspill

I just 'googled' ashley harwood to see if i can find some info on this push cut. i have to say this was one of those situations that a thought ashley was a boys name. she does some nice work, i love to see women turning. cool

Charlie_W

Ashley studied under Stuart Batty and is continuing his teaching of this cut. It does leave a nice surface which will require less sanding. With this technique, you are cutting (not scrapping, shear or otherwise) and are cutting downhill.
This cut has it's applications and is very useful to know. It is another tool in your arsenal of techniques.
She was a delight to have as an instructor. She is very knowledgeable about the how's and why's of her turning as well as being super good at what she does. Ashley spent plenty of time with each student and gave them hands on training, let us use her tools and was very enjoyable to converse with as well. She does not have a chip on her shoulder......well, maybe wood chips!..she is real.
Check out her ornaments/finials!
She will be at the Tennessee Symposium in January and teaches at her studio in Charleston.

Top Bottom