Somtimes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David M

Sometimes things dont go so good.
Sometimes you know to have your faceshied on.
Sometimes you have 1/2 of a blank left.
Sometimes , out of the blue ,it just happens.
SDC12703.jpg

Could have been worse , could have both sides down befor it exploded .
Anyone for 1/2 of a "Cats" zebra pen blank .
I have seen alot of good . great pen pictures on here ,but not oops .
I must be the only one that happens to .

David

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tim self

The only one?

Sir, I think not! Some of us talk about it but aren't ready to show our unfortunate unintended explosions. :biggrin: I had bog oak blow up on me yesterday if it makes you feel any better.:eek:

So I am going to have to be extremely more careful when I attempt them.....hmmmmmmm......expensive danger.........how can I resist???

Sabaharr

Nubie question here. Is this caused by a defective blank, being too aggressive with the tools, or gremlins in the shop?

Dario

Nubie question here. Is this caused by a defective blank, being too aggressive with the tools, or gremlins in the shop?

Any or all of the above and more.

Could also be wrong tool choice, dull tools, lathe speed, etc,

I think glue failure (between blank and tube) is the most common reason though. JMHO

Russianwolf

Sir, I think not! Some of us talk about it but aren't ready to show our unfortunate unintended explosions. :biggrin: I had bog oak blow up on me yesterday if it makes you feel any better.:eek:

unless you are missing pieces, just CA it back together and keep going. You usually can't even see the repair on Bog Oak.

thewishman

After blowing up the picture, I'd say glue coverage was the main culprit. I used to have that cause most of my blowouts. Switched to a better glue-up technique and that happens much less frequently than before.

babyblues

I launch mine too far to be able to take a picture of them.

AHAHAHA!!! I did that to a bowl that blew up, but one of the pieces jumped up and bit me right between the eyes. Yes, I was wearing my goggles, but serves me right I guess, lol. Sometimes, I stomp the tubes flat too. Whew, glad to get that off my chest.

S

spiritwoodturner

I have seen alot of good . great pen pictures on here said:
Yeah, the only one that has the guts to admit it! I'm with Rob, NASA tracks mine as space junk after I've hurled it into the void...

Do you use CA to glue with? If so, ditch it and use epoxy. Roll the end of the tube in it, then roll it as you're inserting into 1 end. Take it back out, roll in the epoxy again and roll while inserting in the other end. Ever since I've switched to epoxy I've never had a failure. Your tube looks awfully clean. The other benefit with epoxy is you'll never have another half-in tube again. I use 30 minute epoxy, what's the rush. I let 'em sit overnight anyway, the 30 minute gives me tons of time to work with it the way I want to.

Just a thought,
Dale

thewishman

Dale, that's the way I do it, too. Just for the record, repeated hammer blows will not help get a halfway-in-the-blank CA'ed tube to go in, no matter how big the hammer.

Top Bottom