Natural nonwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flyingmelon

I know that you can use deer antler to make pens with but what other natural non wood items have people used?
Are elk and moose antler suitable?
Any type of bone?
If you have used something else how was it to turn?

Thanks for any answers
Russ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

Many types of horn and antler can be turned. Bone as well. Then you can move on to soapstone, soft alabaster, aluminum, brass, pinecone, corncob, etc etc etc.

bruce119

Then get yourself a mold some polyester resin a pressure pot and start throwing in stuff and cast your own blanks. Heck you can throw in just about anything. I did loofah, spanish moss, sand spars, shredded money, snake skin, bowling balls, golf balls the list is endless. It is a lot of fun open up your imagination.

Bruce

GouletPens

A friend of mine had an idea to link up with a funeral home and offer a service where you'd turn a pen out of a deceased person's femur and give it to the family:eek:......he was totally joking. We don't talk much anymore:frown:

DurocShark

I just made my own blank for the first time last night. Alumilite "Super Plastic" (white). I had a Michael's gift card. I went for black, got gray. Need more practice.

bruce119

Ahhhh don't forget Corian turns easy & polishes like glass. And if you look around you can find it for free even better. Think kitchen counter tops.

stoneman

I know that you can use deer antler to make pens with but what other natural non wood items have people used?
Are elk and moose antler suitable?
Any type of bone?
If you have used something else how was it to turn?

Thanks for any answers
Russ

I've done moose, elk, whitetail, mule deer and caribou. All make very nice (and somewhat different) pens. The more porous sections require some CA stabilizing, but other than that there is no problem.

Also, I have made pens from "conks" (those fungi that grow like a half-mushroom on the side of trees).

jskeen

Back to the subject of NATURAL non wood turning materials, many antelope have horns solid enough to get good pen blanks from. The best I have found is gemsbok, but I have done blackbuck and Impala. Both domestic and exotic oxen and cattle horns may be solid enough at the tips to use. American Bison horn usually yield one half blank per side. African cape buffalo look to be quite solid and might yield quite a few high quality blanks. Asian water buffalo horns, although large, are quite hollow and only the largest have solid tips large enough to use. True horns are composed of hair fibers held together in a matrix of keratin, and can tend to split between these fibers. I have found that using black ink to color the splits, then filling with CA can give an almost imperceptible repair. Of course Ivory is quite suitable for pens, both the fossilized Mammoth and mastodon versions and modern ivory, either preban from elephants and whale species, or new harvested from nonprotected animals like hippo or warthog.

Russianwolf

Oosick (sp?)...... go look it up. I personally think the name is justifiable.

Also the snake skins. granted you're really just turning a plastic coating, but I consider it a natural material since you wouldn't have it unless something died.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I turned a pen out of the base of a sego palm once. It certainly is not wood, more like potato that if you let it dry it gets hard. Interesting pattern too.

nate peel

If you happen to know a plumber they cut at least a 2' x 2' chunk out every time they install a sinc in a corian counter top. Also construction surplus yard might be a good place to look for cheap corian.

Top Bottom