SOMETHING IS BUGGING ME!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

65GTMustang

Hello all,
I have a question to any and everyone that is willing to send me there answer.

I have a small 8 x 8 Rubbermaid type shed just outside the house. I have set up a very nice casting house and have a great deal of fun playing in my "playhouse"
The only issues I have are the BUGS!!!!
With the powders, dyes, molds and Silmar etc... All located in this building.

Is there anything that would be in danger of being ruined or hazardous if I were to set off a couple of BUG BOMBS!
Inside the shed?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Kevin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Kevin:

I haven't had experience with the bug bombs effect on casting material, but I have done several automobiles and trucks. I have never seen any effect on the interior components of a motor vehicle (these were scrapper repo vehicles going to the auction). Put the bomb in an open container, like an empty gallon paint can or suspend it from the ceiling. I would remove all casting materials, supplies, tools and molds before the bombing. You might do a test by puting some of the materieals, tools and etc. in the shed for testing the effects. Then check your results by using the test items in an actual casting. Then you will know the effects and post that on IAP for all to see.
Richard

IPD_Mrs

My thinking is that even if the bug bombs don't have any effect on the materials and the mixes working etc, it will most likely leave a residue on everything that you will want to clean. If you are going to have to clean everything off, I would think it just as easy to pull it all out for a few hours and only have to clean the counters....

sbell111

You might also consider not storing your PR in the shed. The South Carolina heat is not going to do it any favors.

nativewooder

I would think that your supplies would last much longer if they are kept out of the summer heat when not being used. A bug bomb should be set off at floor level inside a bucket or on sheets of paper. You should only need one for an 8 X 8 shed, provided you follow the directions.

its_virgil

It is hot here in Texas...108 today and we've had 30+ days straight of 100+. If one day that was only 99 the temp had gone to 100+ you could add 19 more days to that running total. My silmar 41 is doing just fine. Actually, I made 15 sets of snake blanks on Saturday with no problems at all. In fact, I have never had a problem with a hot garage and silmar 41 doing anything out of the ordinary. I buy from US Composites and that guarantees the product I get is fresh. Freshness is the secret in my opinion. I suppose the fact that I use about a gallon a month helps also. I had a gallon sit for all summer last year and when I rediscovered it the gallon has been in my garage for 4 months...not a problem. I used it and it was fine.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

You might also consider not storing your PR in the shed. The South Carolina heat is not going to do it any favors.

Top Bottom