Something for us Old Folks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OldWrangler

OldWrangler

Just to use up some scrap and leftover lumber and make room for some new stuff coming in, I made this cane. With my 71 year old knees, I've been relying on a cane for a number of years and this will be the new one I use. Diameter is a little over 1" and the cane has a 1/2" diameter aluminum tubing in the center. Stock was turned on the lathe, then the center drilled and then the sections were cut on the bandsaw. Everything assembled on the tubing and glued up and the cane was sanded round and varnished with gloss polyurothane. Woods are hackberry, bois d'arc, cedar, narra, sapele, purpleheart, black palm and walnut. The aluminum tube gives it plenty of strength and a little woodburning will help it find it's way home should it get left somewhere. And now I've got 2 more to make for people who saw this one but I figured a faster way to make them.

Attachments

• IMG_1986[1].jpg
    IMG_1986[1].jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_1988[1].jpg
    IMG_1988[1].jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 228
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OldWrangler

I took a log about the diameter of the inside of the handle and drilled a 1/2" hole in it. I locked it down in my vise and put the aluminum tube in the hole. Then I just bent the tube around the log to form the handle. Wood pieces had to be cut at angles from 20 degrees to 45 and rotated against one another til they were a flush fit. Then glued. I used thick CA as it dried fast enough to keep up with me adding more rings. Worked real slick.

The tubing only came is 3' lengths at Lowes so I had to splice pieces together with a 1/2" x 6" bolt with the head cut off. It was a good tight fit but I glued the bolt in with CA to make sure. Total length of the cane including around the handle is 45".

You can see handle details in the pic.

Attachments

• IMG_1989[1].jpg
    IMG_1989[1].jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 124

Nick

George, That is a great looking cane, Did you put a rubber knob on the bottom to keep you from slipping when the cold and wet times show up.

Happy Holidays

Top Bottom