Cutting Boards

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bmac

bmac

This is some cutting boards that I made for two of the teachers where my wife works. One of the teachers has hinted in the past that she really liked the cutting boards that I make for the Senior Citizen Appreciation lunch held every year, but I guess she finally decided hints weren't doing the trick, so this year she told my wife she expected her cutting board for Christmas this year. The woods include oak, maple, mahogany, walnut and bloodwood.

Bobby
Louisiana

Attachments

• DSCN0098.jpg
    DSCN0098.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCN0099.jpg
    DSCN0099.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 146
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VisExp

Those look very nice Bobby. I've made some end grain cutting boards before, and am actually working on some now. What finish did you use for the cutting boards? In the past I've used General Finishes Salad Bowl Finish, but I think for this batch I'm working on I want to try some Butcher Block Oil.

randyrls

but I guess she finally decided hints weren't doing the trick, so this year she told my wife she expected her cutting board for Christmas this year. The woods include oak, maple, mahogany, walnut and bloodwood.

Bobby
Louisiana

Told your boss huh? :biggrin:

It works that way with me too!

Skye

You know if you cut those up, you'd have some nice pen blanks! (hehehe, sorry, couldn't help myself!)

Careful with that bloodwood. I'm allergic come to find out. May not be a good idea to be eating off it. The other woods aren't really problem woods for most but I think Bloodwood tends to be an irritant to more people than the others.

Just food for thought.

bmac

Thanks for the comments, as always they are appreciated. I use mineral oil on the boards. It is a lot cheaper than butcher block oil and from what I understand, it is basically the same thing.

Skye, I know what you mean about selecting choice of woods. So far I have not had any problems with bloodwood. A friend of mine makes boards for a local kitchen store and has been using bloodwood for years with no problems, but all it takes is one time. I don't usually use bloodwood but I had the piece laying around and included it in the board.

Again, thanks for the comments.

Bobby
Louisiana

ahoiberg

hey bobby, those look great, the recipients will be ecstatic. i think once the cutting board is broken in, the choice of woods will be fine. keep up the good work.

melogic

Great looking boards Bobby. I have been contemplating doing some boards myself. If you don't mind me asking, what are the dimensions of these boards? What do you normally ask for one of these boards? (Price$)
Again, great looking boards and I'm sure the recipients will love them.

Grizz

Banned
Good looking boards. I just read an article that said that wood cutting boards are safer than the new material cutting boards.

Top Bottom