Something different (Can you guess)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OKLAHOMAN

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Come on, Roy! Tell us! We have guessed everything except chicken butt and beaver tooth!

We need answers!!!!!! :)

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

We have a winner!!!!

Really three winners. Curtis (Mesquiteman) guessed first, Alex second (ZanderPommo) and Keith (Creativewriting) all said Giraffe bone. Keith these were made from knife scales, your right the knife makers use these, I got mine from a very well known knife maker Jerry McCure. He didn't think I could get a pen out of these, below you'll see how close I had to drill (THANK YOU Paul Huffman for the PHDesigns vise or it couldn be done)

IMG_2011.jpg

OKLAHOMAN

Yes they are all stablized and dyed, expensive but make a great knife and now a pen. I was at an art show in NM and met him and his wife and found that they live 30 miles from me. Hope to get some more in other colors

Very cool Roy!!!
Were those dyed, or color treated in some way?

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Nice stuff. I've had a piece with sitting in the shop for a few years. Been on my to do list, but have also been warned about the odor. Mine doesn't look stabilized or dyed but it may be.

OKLAHOMAN

Your right about the odor, it's much worse than antler and makes gator smell nice....
Nice stuff. I've had a piece with sitting in the shop for a few years. Been on my to do list, but have also been warned about the odor. Mine doesn't look stabilized or dyed but it may be.

jskeen

I tend to think Giraffe shin bone or tibia too, but if so that's not it's normal exterior appearance. It may have been textured and dyed or "jigged" for use as a knife handle and you just turned most of it away?

(ok, so I didn't see the page two, so shoot me :)

I don't know for sure how it was on turning tools, but I do know that when your making a knife out of it, it's eats $7.00 zircon sanding belts for the 2x72 grinder like potato chips! And yes, it does stink, but still not as bad as the buffalo horn.

Last edited:
Top Bottom