Some urethane we've been testing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
During the course of our testing of a reformulated M3 product, I had the pleasure of working with a resin company that I'm not sure I've seen mentioned here before. The folks at ThermoSet Solutions (https://thermosetsolutions.com/) have been AWESOME to work with and have even come up with custom formulas for us to meet our needs for both M3 and color casting of DiamondCast.

One of the challenges I put out to them was to see if they could come up with a thin urethane with ~80D hardness, 1:1 weight ratios, and an open time in the 10-12 minute range. What they came up with is a resin (Formula CSD1278) that is darn near water thin but keeps color separation at 90F. We've done some tests, and shared the info with a few others that have also had a positive experience. On top of that, they've got some other off the shelf items that are VERY cool if you like playing with epoxy. One of their epoxies I tested was quite possibly the stronger pourable resin I've ever played with.

In any case... the new one they came up with for us is something that might be worth trying if you're interested in trying something new. Joel can be reached at: Joel.Charboneau@thermosetsolutions.com and you can tell him Tim sent ya. (I think coupon code MPW2023 will get you 5% off if that helps) Data sheet attached to the post... along with a photo of one of the test blanks I turned.

I need to get out some of my stabilized wood and try this for hybrids... it's so thin that it should get into the tiniest nooks and crannies with ease.

Attachments

• CSD1278 TDS.pdf
    248.5 KB · Views: 134
  • 20230524_180315.jpg
    20230524_180315.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 105
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RobS

Tim,

Thank you so much for the information:
1) Any idea how much it shrinks (thinking about hybrid usage)?
2) If the colors stay separated at 90F, approximately how much open time do you have once it hits 90F?

Tim,

Thank you so much for the information:
1) Any idea how much it shrinks (thinking about hybrid usage)?
2) If the colors stay separated at 90F, approximately how much open time do you have once it hits 90F?
Tech specs have the shrinkage and all the other data points... I can pour 80oz of the stuff so there's plenty of open time for any sane quantity. Basically the same as another name brand 1:1 urethane

EricRN

Hi Tim, I don't work with epoxy much. In the interest of educating me, what do you mean by 80D and 90 F? Thanks.

Hi Tim, I don't work with epoxy much. In the interest of educating me, what do you mean by 80D and 90 F? Thanks.
80D is a hardness rating... You really want something north of 70D hardness if you want to polish it to a shine. 80D is kind of what we usually work with, some specialty ratings will go above that. The temperature was my way of saying that this is similar to other urethanes we use as far as what the ideal temp is to pour multiple colors and they stay separated. If you're doing color pours and pour the resin at room temp, the colors will run together. It's important to let them set up just enough that they don't completely blend.

Just a quick update... We are now selling the finalized version of this on our website. Available for pre-order with a 5% discount. The final version has an open time of 18 minutes, adding just a few minutes for complicated or large pours. By now we've poured like 1,000+ lbs of it and I'm absolutely loving it. (Obviously)

Top Bottom