some end grain cutting boards

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ned B

Ned B

I actually got some shop time in over the weekend, and finished off these cutting boards: Lyptus, Maple and Cherry end grain boards.

The large board is for my wife, the other two are for some friends.
attachment.jpg

finish is two coats of mineral oil, after sanding to 220.

Attachments

• trio copy.jpg
    trio copy.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 354
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Crashmph

Very nice... I have been thinking about making one of those for the LOML and my mother. You have just convinced me to do it.

Ned B

thanks gents,
I look at all of the beautiful pens folks post here and feel like a slacker, but I know I can make Some things that look nice and are functional. Gotta say, though, that cleaning up from a planing session on those boards makes turning seem positively tidy in comparison:
attachment.jpg

Attachments

• dust2.jpg
    dust2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 304

darrenjttu

I have never made any cutting board so forgive me if I ask any rookie questions. Is there anyway you can make these without having a planer, and also do you just glue them together or fasten them some other way?

Ned B

I have never made any cutting board so forgive me if I ask any rookie questions. Is there anyway you can make these without having a planer, and also do you just glue them together or fasten them some other way?

They're simply glued together, I used titebond III which is 'waterproof'. I don't know that you could do these without either a hand plane or planer of some sort. Check out Marc Spagnulo's Wood Whisperer site for a podcast on how to make them, that's where I started when I was going to make them.

hazard

Nice cutting boards

I have made a few end grain cutting boards over time. I always get the boards sanded at the local cabinet shop. Do you run yours thru the planer on end grain? If so do you run into problems with tearout

Ned B

Nice cutting boards

I have made a few end grain cutting boards over time. I always get the boards sanded at the local cabinet shop. Do you run yours thru the planer on end grain? If so do you run into problems with tearout

I glue on a pair of sacrificial boards on the 'narrow' dimension, not in end grain orientation, they take any snipe/tearout and the end grain stays intact, then I just cut away the sacrificial boards and a smidgeon of the end pieces, round over and sand with the ROS

They look great

Thanks for checking them out, So far the large board has been well received, the two smaller ones will be delivered on Friday. :biggrin:

TurnedAround

If you get Wood magazine, it's in Oct 2006 issue, page 82. Used to be my favorite way to use wood scraps then those dang pens came along. Now that I have two things to use up scraps on, I'm going to have to buy more wood and make furniture to generate scraps. What a vicious cycle.:wink:

Ed

Top Bottom