So, who's up for a challenge?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Geophyrd

I designed a pen (attached) and will make it in the next 2 weeks or so (assuming the weather is reasonable). Not suggesting my skills will make it perfect by any means. But it will be fun to try!

Anyone else up for it? I originally designed it for a Ligero pen but the measurements can be adapted.

Attachments

• LigeroTwo-Challenge.jpg
    LigeroTwo-Challenge.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,236
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow!!! There are some seriously complex cuts in that design:eek: I wish you the best of luck. Watch out for 'pattern shrinkage':wink:

beck3906

Very complex design.; I hope you can get this done.

Question....
Would the red area not get turned away unless you used a pen with a large body? If it doesn't get turned off, it would appear to only have a small amout of red left.

Anyway, get it built and post pictures. We always want to see interesting designs and challenges that were overcome.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Rick, I believe each of the segments 'thicknesses' would need to taper and meet at the centre point of the blank and at the same time, all the corners of each segment would need to remain perpendicular to the centre line. That way, the pattern wouldn't shrink lengthways and it would stay in proportion as the diameter was turned down. For me, the hardest point would be the dowel, as it would remain the same size, unless it could be tapered too. Of course, you could just use a very thin dowel to begin with.

Geophyrd

With regard to the design

Alot of the red is meant to be turned away...it will express as a pattern of dots centered around the 'gold' center. The center doweling will be 1/8" doweling which, after turning will likely be oval in shape, not strictly round. Last, the diagonal blue 'arrows' are single cuts. The dowels are there to adjust for any miss in the center segments, which is probably going to be the fulcrum of at least three separate cuts.

That's the problem with pen design...pretty easy to design, not so easy to execute.

Karin Voorhis

WOW! and to think I was excited to just begin looking at miter sleds to do a few segmented pieces but wow this is wild!!!!!!!!!!! I am excited to see this....

Geophyrd

The colors

BTW, the colors won't be the final colors (unless I can dig up the right blanks). The colors are there to differentiate between materials.

PaulDoug

My hats off to you segment-ers. I could figure out a way to get the cutting of the pieces done, and I could get it glued up, I could turn a piece, but I be danged if I can visualize what a piece will look like before it is turned. Neither words, I'd have to have a pattern that someone else came up with. Good luck on your venture. I am anxious to see the results.

soligen

Alot of the red is meant to be turned away...it will express as a pattern of dots centered around the 'gold' center. The center doweling will be 1/8" doweling which, after turning will likely be oval in shape, not strictly round. Last, the diagonal blue 'arrows' are single cuts. The dowels are there to adjust for any miss in the center segments, which is probably going to be the fulcrum of at least three separate cuts.

That's the problem with pen design...pretty easy to design, not so easy to execute.

If the red will all be turned away, then the gold will turn into a band with the dots on 4 sides and 4 gold-to-gold joint lines. Not sure the gold to gold joint lines will add much, so you could simplify by having that area be a solid block of gold with the dowling drilled through.

If you want to keep the red and be sure that the gold doesnt merge, then the width of the gold needs to be <= your tube diameter.

Now the blue - keeping the points is the trick. Dont know how I would go about this yet.

Steve has the right idea. You can't think of the blank as a square you have to think about it as an object with 4 sides and what will happen when the overall size changes. Before beginning something like that you definitely need to decide on a kit first and make the blank to go with the tubes. Looks like fun.

Parson

Geo, please take some snapshots of the build on this blank. I've done some complex segmenting before, but after studying the illustration above, I just can't get my head around where I'd start on the project... but I'd really like to start on the project after you finish it and post some pix :)

KenV

Great challenge for visualization and proportion -- a Dot on a side needs to be a cone set into a cone shaped recess to keep proportion -- I see a tool making opportunity for reamers.

Drstrangefart

I'm extremely interested in seeing the finished result. It's hard enough for me to segment 1/4 inch of acrylic into a wood blank at 45 degrees to thik about touching something like that.

ctubbs

You are actually going to turn that? I thought that you had come up with a square pen. Stand back and wear a full face shield when you turn that beautiful creation. WOW! You really intend to turn that! Please do a video of both the glue up and turning.
Charles

Geophyrd

Hi PT

Well, tried twice. I'm not confident enough in my table/band saw to make the cuts I need. I will say that both times, my problem was cutting accurately, not actually whether my methodology would work.

Would you be interested in my list of cuts to get there?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Would you be interested in my list of cuts to get there?

Yes please!!!

I managed to get about 90% of the cuts sorted ( on paper) so that the pattern would stay the same as it was turned down, but I'm beginning to think it can't be done - and still keep the pattern.

Geophyrd

Ok

Let me see if I can get this down in a way that will make sense. Give me a couple of days. Bear in mind that I haven't made it work yet...

;)

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
So Howard, how's it going with that list of cuts? Has it driven you nuts yet? :biggrin:

I actually thought that you had already figured it out, but just didn't have the kit to do it accurately. :confused:

Good luck:wink:

wood128

I would make 8 flat pieces with the same segmented pattern , miter the edges to 45 degrees and glue them together. Not an easy task , but could be done with small model makers power saws, etc. My eyes are not that good to try it anymore. Anxious to see the results.
Joe

Top Bottom