Snakewood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from broitblat

broitblat

I took my time with this one:

Drilled slowly over a period of about 1/2 hour.

Let it sit for a few days and then drilled again (same size bit) in case it had shrunk.

Let it sit for a few days and then glued in the tube.

Let it sit for a week and then turned to slightly oversized.

Let it sit for a week and then finished

Let it sit for a week and then finally assembled.

So far, it hasn't cracked ;-)

Other contributing factors:
The Squire leaves the wood pretty thick, so that *may* help
I've had the blank sitting in a drawer for ~3 years (afraid to turn it :rolleyes:)

I still have the other half of the blank.

Thanks for bearing with me.

-Barry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

All I heard was 'Chris, never, ever, ever ever ever try to turn Snakewood'. Thanks for th heads up. Great looking pen

bitshird

Outstanding work, I agree with your time schedule, I think the blank needs about a year to acclimate it's self, then like your drilling and waiting. Snakewood is something that can not be rushed.

cionow777

Nice work

Very nice work. I have turned several snakewood pens, and haven't had a problem. But, having heard all the horror stories, I use a similar process or not turning the entire pen in one sitting. Going slow is the key for me.

Kevin
Alabama
www.mazurkapens.com

Bree

Nice! I love that one with the Majestic Squire kit. I always seal the ends of my Snakewood pens with CA thin sunk deeply into the endgrain and layer the CA on heavily effectively turning it into what is basically an acrylic with little or no moisture movement in or out. I haven't had one crack yet. Of course ya never know. Sometimes I guess they just have a mind and destiny of their own.
:wink::wink::wink:

bon

nice work. I like snakewood, too.

all I can say is that when it want to crack, it just crack.

nomatter what I did.

broitblat

Thanks, folks.

I've done snakewood in the past where I just let it crack and then filled with sanding dust -- I thought that might still happen on this one (and still might :wink:), but I went ahead and assembled.

It has a CA finish.

-Barry

crabcreekind

i have done snakewood twice, and i was like you. but the second time i was less careful and it was still fine... and even if it does crack, the crack are so hairline small, there is no way you can even see then on the finished pen.

Top Bottom