Smart TV'S

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

This site has a wealth of information on most topics, so I am seeking some info on making my HDTV into a smart TV. There is a few products out there like Chromecast and Roku 3 just name a couple. Are there any of you that have done this?? Likes and comments would be much appreciated.

Lin.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

Apple TV. Not really "smart" but provides more options, including AirPlay - anything on iPhone/iPad and/or Mac/iMac will play on TV.

thewishman

I've got Roku - it is a gateway to sign up for other services. Lots of free things that aren't of much value. To get to the goot stuff you need a pay subscription - Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Redbox...

It doesn't make your tv into an internet browser, which is what I want. You cannot watch things on the web.

PenMan1

I've got chromecast and I love it!!!!

I can search YouTube topics that interest me on iPad or iPhone and then "cast" them wirelessly to my HD TV from my iOS device or my Google Chrome computer browser. I can cast virtually ANYTHING that's on the internet.

Additionally, after starting the cas, Chromecast pull content directly from the web, allowing me to use my ipad or computer for other functions.

It works well on every site I've tried. It takes some "maneuvering" to get Amazon Prime to cast directly from chrome to the TV. This entails disabling all of the Microsoft stuff (such as Silverlight), but it does work. So far, I can only get Amazon Prime to 720, but customer support at Amazon Prime told me that the app is come soon for Apple, but MAY NOT be available for android.

I found my new, unopened Chromecast on eBay for $20. It works so well, I may pay retail for several more to put on each TV in the house. It even senses that something is being cast and automatically changes the TV to the correct input, etc.

I LIKE CHROMECAST!!!!!

PenMan1

Somebody has to say it....the easiest way to make your TV smarter is to turn it off. :wink:

Ed

That's exactly what "smart" TV does. It turns OFF the idiot box and the endless parade of reality shows and lets the user send REALLY IMPORTANT STUFF like pen making videos and grand baby videos directly to the "big screen". :)

PenMan1

In all seriousness. I just spoke with a good friend and former colleague who just returned from the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. This is THE show where technologies companies introduct their latest and greatest new consumer gizmos.

According to my friend, several of the big TV makers are "holding back" on further development of their own dedicated "smart" systems. Thier thinking is to let the big boys "Google and Apple" pay for the massive research and development costs and then just pay the "winner" a licensing fee to put "universal smart TV" into their sets.

As it stands 6 months ago, Sony's stuff doesn't work with Vizio stuff that doesn't interface with Samsung stuff, etc.

These "waiting" manufacturers are waiting, hoping that "smart" becomes a standard like 802 wireless standards. These manufacturers understand that a small "gadget" will not be enough to make people buy a new $1000 TV every two years.

Last edited:

PenMan1

Additionally, most ALL of the newer gaming consoles (Wii, Xbox, playstation) are connected and smart.

These work fine, but much like using a smart Blu Ray player, data entry via the remote control is a PITA (pain in the $$$).

The Penguin

true, but at least with an XBox, you can buy an accesory keyboard that plugs into the controller.

I should add that I have a smart TV (I think), a smart Bluray, and my sone has an x-box with his tv

we use the blu-ray to stream movies and TV from Amazon Prime and Netflix. we could also use it for Hulu, Hulu plus and a few other choices if we had accounts with them.

my son can use his x-box to stream from Netflix.

Last edited:

PenMan1

The nicest feature of the Chromecast (other than the cheap price) is that it is a true internet system. You don't have to have an app to do it.

You can cast anything that's on the web, or anything on your computer that you can put into a browser (Google Chrome) tab. If you family sends a movie, etc, as long as you can open it with a browser, you can cast it wirelessly to a HDTV.

This seems to be the direction in which "smart tv" is heading.

PenMan1

Additionally (depending on the website being cast and the limits of the HDTV) it's in 720 or 1080. MUCH better quality than "wiring" the computer to the TV.

lorbay

Well it looks like you can't buy it ( Chromecast )in Canada yet according to our BestBuy and Future Shops. But I might be able to get it through Amazon if they will ship it to me. I think this unit will work best for me as all I want is the image I am seeing on my PC.
Lin

BSea

Well it looks like you can't buy it ( Chromecast )in Canada yet according to our BestBuy and Future Shops. But I might be able to get it through Amazon if they will ship it to me. I think this unit will work best for me as all I want is the image I am seeing on my PC.
Lin
I have chromecast, and I like it. I don't think it will do what you are wanting though. Basically, you use a smart phone like a remote to the chromecast. For example: If you have a netflix app on your phone, you start watching on your phone, then press an icon that makes it go to chromecast. At that point you can use your phone to pause, rewind, fast forward, or select scenes. Everything shows on the TV. But once you start watching on the TV, you can use your phone normally to make calls, or even play games while the chromecast does it's thing. In other words, it doesn't stream to your phone, and then to chromecast. Your phone just provides the interface. The show streams from your home wi-fi directly to chromecast.

I hope that helps.

EDIT: After reading Penman 1's experience, I guess you can go directly from your computer. I've never tried this part though. All I've ever used was my iphone.

Last edited:

lorbay

Lin
I have chromecast, and I like it. I don't think it will do what you are wanting though. Basically, you use a smart phone like a remote to the chromecast. For example: If you have a netflix app on your phone, you start watching on your phone, then press an icon that makes it go to chromecast. At that point you can use your phone to pause, rewind, fast forward, or select scenes. Everything shows on the TV. But once you start watching on the TV, you can use your phone normally to make calls, or even play games while the chromecast does it's thing. In other words, it doesn't stream to your phone, and then to chromecast. Your phone just provides the interface. The show streams from your home wi-fi directly to chromecast.

I hope that helps.

EDIT: After reading Penman 1's experience, I guess you can go directly from your computer. I've never tried this part though. All I've ever used was my iphone.

Yep it looks like it will do exactly what I want it to do. Stream from my PC to TV.
Lin

PenMan1

Lin:
You could also look for it on eBay. Many of the vendors there ship internationally. The Chromecast package is small (4x4x1 inches) so it would easily fit it the International Flat Rate envelope.

I know it will work in Canada, as I helped a friend set one up.

PenMan1

As far as casting from the PC, it has to be something that will open in a Chrome browser tab. In order to send a couple of things on my computer to the TV, I first had to store them in a cloud, then open with the browser.

COMING FROM THE COMPUTER HAS TO BE DONE THROUGH GOOGLE CHROME.

Mike Powell

Looks like you would have to have one of the older Rokus. Roku 3 needs HDMI. I looked into these recently. Let me find the link I used before it compared the top 3 with where apple, roku and chrome I think.

PenMan1

Andrew
All you need to watch Netflix on the CRT TV is Chromecast and a HDMI to composite or component video. Simply plug the Chromecast into input box and USB power and hook the three RCA plugs into the CRT TV.

This way, you are not investing in obsolete technology and when you move to HDMI, you are all set.

Lenny

Yes, I have a Samsung BluRay player and the apps work pretty well. I prefer my Apple tv though, it seems to handle the streaming a little better.

randyrls

Additionally, most ALL of the newer gaming consoles (Wii, Xbox, playstation) are connected and smart.

These work fine, but much like using a smart Blu Ray player, data entry via the remote control is a PITA (pain in the $$$).

I have a blue-ray keyboard that works with my phone, tablet, etc.

randyrls

I have a blue-ray keyboard that works with my phone, tablet, etc.

lorbay

Well I got my Chromecast stick today and I must say I am very impressed with it so far and is everything I have read about and thought it to be.
I now have a SMART TV and can now cast the IAP onto my TV from my iPad.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Lin.

Top Bottom