And what else? Sorry long post, very happy with find.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jfoh

Went to look at a few old wooden planes listed on local Craigslist last week. Neat things of very limited use, but things I like to play with and collect. I bought all three they had. And just before I got back into the truck I asked, "and what else". You know the question we all need to ask when buying stuff from people. And what else do you have for sale?

They stopped and looked at me and said they had sold most of the "good stuff" already. They were cleaning out and selling off the estate of a long deceased uncle. They were selling the farm to a builder and wanted to sell off the contents of his house, barn and out buildings. Sorry no '64 Mustangs. But they offered to let me look around and mentioned there was some wood in the old barn.

Wood I heard, the ears perked up. So down we went. The barn was in decent shape roof wise but looked like a drunk on payday night. Leaning a little every which way. On the ground floor there was several pickup loads of what I would call firewood. Rough cut lumber which had curled up like egg noodles due to being stored poorly. About to call it a day when I decided to look up stairs.

The loft was stuffed with rough cut lumber. Walnut, cherry, maple, a little sycamore and ash or hickory. Wide and long, rough cut with natural edges and boards trimmed with straight edges. Looks like the old fellow had a few trees cut up into lumber in Winter months every year. We use to do it on the farm. Cut it now and dry it for later use. Later never came and the uncle died in 1980's I think.

Big barn, with a long loft, holds a lot of lumber I found out. The sellers looked at the lumber as more stuff to get rid of. I saw a lot of wood but I have no place to store it locally. Asked them how much they wanted for the whole lot. Ten thousand dollars one said after careful reflection, the other laughed. We dickered and talked. Well I bought it.

Now I have to have it trucked back East to my farm. I have a converted chicken house to store it in. Buddy in the trucking business will haul it for me when he is dead hauling that direction. Might take a month to get it all moved he said but the price is right. He will drop off a empty trailer at the barn and give me a day to fill it. Local daily labor filled the first trailer today. It goes back East Tuesday. Cousin back home will unload it for me and get it inside. Well he will supervise others doing the work. He is from the smart side of the family.

I can see the dent they made but it is just a dent. Looks like I have four or five more trailer loads to go. By the time I am done the chicken house back east will be filled, my cousin might not like me so much and my retirement supply of wood will be waiting for me. All because I asked, "and what else". If I had not asked that wood might have been destroyed when the barn was pushed over with the land cleanup, burned perhaps or just hauled away. And what else.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

Do you live close to me? Haha

You know, I buy a fair amount of stuff off Craigslist but never ask that question.

Thanks for the idea! I should have known better.

Haynie

This is a very unfortunate situation you find yourself in. I, out of the goodness of my heart, am willing to help you out. No one should be stuck with that much wood, it is a shame. How about you ship it my my way and save yourself the impending family trouble between you and your cousin.:biggrin:

wildbill23c

Banned
Good score on the wood. Sounds expensive...really expensive. However, someone with the time, and equipment to turn that rough lumber into some nice projects could make their money back in double at least.

Get us some pictures when you can.

jsolie

You know what they say...

postpics.gif

... pics or it never happened. :biggrin:

Congrats on the wood score.

robutacion

Went to look at a few old wooden planes listed on local Craigslist last week. Neat things of very limited use, but things I like to play with and collect. I bought all three they had. And just before I got back into the truck I asked, "and what else". You know the question we all need to ask when buying stuff from people. And what else do you have for sale?

They stopped and looked at me and said they had sold most of the "good stuff" already. They were cleaning out and selling off the estate of a long deceased uncle. They were selling the farm to a builder and wanted to sell off the contents of his house, barn and out buildings. Sorry no '64 Mustangs. But they offered to let me look around and mentioned there was some wood in the old barn.

Wood I heard, the ears perked up. So down we went. The barn was in decent shape roof wise but looked like a drunk on payday night. Leaning a little every which way. On the ground floor there was several pickup loads of what I would call firewood. Rough cut lumber which had curled up like egg noodles due to being stored poorly. About to call it a day when I decided to look up stairs.

The loft was stuffed with rough cut lumber. Walnut, cherry, maple, a little sycamore and ash or hickory. Wide and long, rough cut with natural edges and boards trimmed with straight edges. Looks like the old fellow had a few trees cut up into lumber in Winter months every year. We use to do it on the farm. Cut it now and dry it for later use. Later never came and the uncle died in 1980's I think.

Big barn, with a long loft, holds a lot of lumber I found out. The sellers looked at the lumber as more stuff to get rid of. I saw a lot of wood but I have no place to store it locally. Asked them how much they wanted for the whole lot. Ten thousand dollars one said after careful reflection, the other laughed. We dickered and talked. Well I bought it.

Now I have to have it trucked back East to my farm. I have a converted chicken house to store it in. Buddy in the trucking business will haul it for me when he is dead hauling that direction. Might take a month to get it all moved he said but the price is right. He will drop off a empty trailer at the barn and give me a day to fill it. Local daily labor filled the first trailer today. It goes back East Tuesday. Cousin back home will unload it for me and get it inside. Well he will supervise others doing the work. He is from the smart side of the family.

I can see the dent they made but it is just a dent. Looks like I have four or five more trailer loads to go. By the time I am done the chicken house back east will be filled, my cousin might not like me so much and my retirement supply of wood will be waiting for me. All because I asked, "and what else". If I had not asked that wood might have been destroyed when the barn was pushed over with the land cleanup, burned perhaps or just hauled away. And what else.

Well, the answer is a easy one for me, no pics, didn't happen...!:wink::biggrin:

On the other hand, imagine if you didn't have the cash to take the bargain...!!! or, you didn't have the cash/couldn't afford to risk asking that question, as you find out, it can take you a long way...!:)

I'm glad that, you could ask the question and take them to a haggling context and win, more often than not, will work so, make sure you don't follow the steps of the fellow that cut that wood in the first place, "later" can be just too late...!

Good luck,
Cheers
George

jfoh

Final truck load left today. Six full loads and one about three quarters full. Ended costing me twice the purchase in labor loading and unloading plus the cost of dead hauling it back east. Scraps and waste wood from barn has been added to my fire place wood stacks. If my wife knew how much my great deal ended up costing me I might be sleeping in the doghouse with the other mutt.

My cousin pulled enough walnut out to build a gun cabinet he says. That will be the day. As I remember the bird house he made in shop class was so bad no bird was ever shamed into using it. he did mention about ten times that I now owe him big time. We'll see if he is satisfied with the walnut. Heck I might have to build it for him as final payment.

So in the end I have decide to still ask "and what else". But I might have smaller eyes than my stomach or be a little less likely to jump at the next big bargain.

Ambidex

Final truck load left today. Six full loads and one about three quarters full. Ended costing me twice the purchase in labor loading and unloading plus the cost of dead hauling it back east. Scraps and waste wood from barn has been added to my fire place wood stacks. If my wife knew how much my great deal ended up costing me I might be sleeping in the doghouse with the other mutt.

My cousin pulled enough walnut out to build a gun cabinet he says. That will be the day. As I remember the bird house he made in shop class was so bad no bird was ever shamed into using it. he did mention about ten times that I now owe him big time. We'll see if he is satisfied with the walnut. Heck I might have to build it for him as final payment.

So in the end I have decide to still ask "and what else". But I might have smaller eyes than my stomach or be a little less likely to jump at the next big bargain.

Is anyone else thinking about starting a help him fund?? I feel sooooo bad for him I wanna be the first to say I'll match any donations up to 11 cents...I know..generous to a fault:biggrin:

Top Bottom