Small Walnut Burl Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kludge77

kludge77

4 inches wide 1 1/4 high. Finished with Danish Oil.

Walnut_Bowl001.jpg

Walnut_Bowl002.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Geezzzz mate, you went quite thin on that one, huh...???:wink:

Certainly a nice piece of wood and your bowl turning is coming along quite nicely, also...!:)

Now, you need to go BIGGER, something that will cover the stand you used on this one...!

How about that for a challenge...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

kludge77

Geezzzz mate, you went quite thin on that one, huh...???:wink:

Certainly a nice piece of wood and your bowl turning is coming along quite nicely, also...!:)

Now, you need to go BIGGER, something that will cover the stand you used on this one...!

How about that for a challenge...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Actually, it tapers to a point, so it's not a consistent thickness. Still feels pretty good in the hands though.

I totally need to go bigger, (don't have any larger blanks in the shop) but I have a LOT of smaller walnut blanks and I figured I could use the practice. I'm still struggling with the bowl gouge, but every bowl that I make, gives me that much more confidence.
Thanks

-Peter

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
i think if you're OK with the bowl gouge in the small bowls, a larger
bowl would be easier since you don't have the tight space to worry
about. I can see a set of these with a large serving bowl would
look fantastic in a table setting.

kludge77

I just need to find a good place to acquire cheap practice bowl blanks. I keep telling myself to checkout the county yard waste dump but I've yet to venture up there.

nava1uni

Peter,
It looks really nice. Where you live there are lots of tree trimmers. Stop and ask for wood. That is what I do all the time. Then take them a pen or bowl made out of the wood and you will always have a supplier. Everybody wins.

jbswearingen

Peter--

How do you shape the end of your bowl gouge? Finger nail, blunt? What size is it? How do you attack the wood?

Have you watched any of the YouTube videos showing how to use the gouge? I had read several books by Raffin and the like, but it didn't click until I finally saw it in those videos.

I just need to find a good place to acquire cheap practice bowl blanks. I keep telling myself to checkout the county yard waste dump but I've yet to venture up there.

Step one: Get a chain saw.
Step two: Drive a car with an empty trunk/a truck/get a trailer.
Step three: Keep your eyes open for felled trees by the road.

Last edited:

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Nicely done, and great job on going so thin while learning to bowl gouge. Looks to me that you have pretty good tool control of you can get that thin with a burl.

kludge77

Peter--

How do you shape the end of your bowl gouge? Finger nail, blunt? What size is it? How do you attack the wood?

Have you watched any of the YouTube videos showing how to use the gouge? I had read several books by Raffin and the like, but it didn't click until I finally saw it in those videos.

I have the wolverine a I use the vari-grind to get a fingernail shape. It's pretty consistent now. I usually start from the rim and ride the wings into the center. Once I start getting chatter with the gouge, I end up switching to my round nose scraper. I then scrape from the inside out to final thickness. It works for me, but I know that most folks use their gouge for a lot more of the turning process and only pick up the scraper at the very end.

I have multiple videos, but I still have trouble translating that into my hands. I've always been a slow learner, but with practice I think I'll get it.

jbswearingen

I do much the same thing--I do my final shaping (especially on thin, dry wood) with a sharp scraper. I'll even use it for the outer surface, particularly if the wood is spalted. I recently taught myself to sharpen my fingernail bowl gouge free hand. It isn't as pretty as the Wolverine jig's nor is it as quick, but it maintains the shape better for me.

okiebugg

Bowl

Very nice. Using a scraper is very rough and tedious. I use the point of a very sharp skew on the inside of the bowl for roughing. You actually slowly stab the point of the skew straight in with less tearout than a scraper. Just take small bites from the center out to the periphery, and you can also use (again only the point) the point to make a simile of what you want the inside to look like. You can also shape the inside of the bowl. Then go to town with your scraper to finalize what you did with the skew. Depending upon the wood you are turning the scraper can actually do most of the finish work.
I made a Roman style wine chalice today...using a 4 jaw Nova

Woodcraft has their Nova midi 4 jaw kit on sale for $ 99.99. A far cry from $ 159 dollars plus tax..Mine came out to $108 out the door.

Harbor freight has there large rotary tool set-110v for $19.95 It has a 40 piece of small tools with it. This price is down from $39.99....saved roughly, I would say about $ 50.00. It is the one piece of gear that they sell that is worthwhile to own. I've had 3 of them for almost a year, and had to have a repair on only one of them......I got it too hot carving deer antler.

I didn't attempt to do the hijack thang, but somebody will surely complain Sorry

okiebugg

Surely you have tree trimmer people

I contacted several companies here in NE Oklahoma (106 degrees today) and asked the boss if I could look through the tree parts laying on the ground. He said sure, take all you want===He will even cut out the portions I want and load them in my truck! I brought home two very nice spalted hackberry, and Oak that is very spalted.

Kludge, You might take a road trip (call heir offices first and see where they are working) and take off. You'll find nice working people, and if they do the stuff for you a 20 pack of Natty Lite could just seal the deal. Don't let them see the beer until a deal is done.

I even have the chicanos looking for burl for me I pay the finder $10.00 for very large pieces delivered to my house, and $5.00 for small burl caps delivered.

I hope I wasn't too windy

Top Bottom