Slim-lines, is it the plating?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Would a better plating change your opinion of the slim-line kit?

• Yes, I'd like to see better plating options.

Votes: 53 70.7%
  • No, I just don't like them.

Votes: 22 29.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

76winger

I personally think the kit is fine. Yes a nicer refill would be great and a "slim line" that had not quite so "slim" parts but still built on the same concept would be better. I agree with they take as much time or more as higher end kits but I guess that has never been an issue for me. Regardless of the kit, the better plating is the best option, usually.

The Slimline Pro from PSI is a little bigger but still "straight" and it uses a parker style refill. It is also the best click mechanism I've run into. I like the comforts - use all slimline parts except the centerband and to me just have a classier look. I eve like them better than streamlines which are close to the same.

I agree on the Slimline Pros. They also use an 8mm tube instead of 7mm, giving room for the Parker style refill that I prefer.

And as you mentioned earlier about the comforts (I think it was you), I leave the rubber "comfort grips" off most of mine as well, and the slightly larger body of the pens look awesome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Andrew_K99

This thread has really materialized! As mentioned the poll isn't valid though, as I found out there are many plating options available. It is quite interesting to hear the varied opinions of the slim-line.

AK

Last edited:

JerrySambrook

I personally think the kit is fine. Yes a nicer refill would be great and a "slim line" that had not quite so "slim" parts but still built on the same concept would be better. I agree with they take as much time or more as higher end kits but I guess that has never been an issue for me. Regardless of the kit, the better plating is the best option, usually.

The Slimline Pro from PSI is a little bigger but still "straight" and it uses a parker style refill. It is also the best click mechanism I've run into. I like the comforts - use all slimline parts except the centerband and to me just have a classier look. I eve like them better than streamlines which are close to the same.

I agree on the Slimline Pros. They also use an 8mm tube instead of 7mm, giving room for the Parker style refill that I prefer.

And as you mentioned earlier about the comforts (I think it was you), I leave the rubber "comfort grips" off most of mine as well, and the slightly larger body of the pens look awesome.

But then neither of the pens you are discussing is a slimline, but a varient, or different kit altogether

RDH79

Slims I have to make them. They are probably 75% of my sales. And like posts are saying the quality has gone down in the last couple years. I never had the top barrel slip like i have had in the last couple months. So before I glue in the tube I use aa pair of plyers and put dimples in the tube This gives it more grip. They are what pays the bills.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hmmm

Loaded Poll.

Prove my point ONE.

Prove my point TWO options.

When you Poll a Bull you cut of the POINT.

I like Slimlines poll questions ask the recipients for their unbiased opinion.

Claim the fifth the right to disagree amicably with respect, I do respect every point of view.

Have fun I do.

Kind regards Peter.

When I polled them I cut off the whole horn - not just the point.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I must be weird because I actually like the slimline. I abandon the center-band and turn them free-form.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Responded to another

But then neither of the pens you are discussing is a slimline, but a varient, or different kit altogether

I think an earlier post asked about an alternative to slims, unless I misread it. I suggested comforts which are a slimline with a different centerband. or the Slimline PRO which has the same lines as a straight slimline but is a bit thicker and is a click pen using a parker refill.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hmmmm

Slims I have to make them. They are probably 75% of my sales. And like posts are saying the quality has gone down in the last couple years. I never had the top barrel slip like i have had in the last couple months. So before I glue in the tube I use aa pair of plyers and put dimples in the tube This gives it more grip. They are what pays the bills.
Rich, I hope you bought those slims from someone else - I've had a number of different problems reported but the upper barrel slipping isn't one of them. That would seem to be transmission too small or barrel too big.

its_virgil

Correct me if I am wrong but the slimline pro is just the gel writer pro with a new name. I like the idea of the parker refill but I will not sell that pen because the click mechanism is not reliable, unless it has been improved since I last made one.

I consider (most) 7mm pens to be slimlines regardless of the name or the size of the CB. I don't use the centerband, at least not very often. Someone mentioned the clip on slimlines and I must admit I do not like or purchase the black line clip kits. Even the black line clips that are plain (without the black line) are not as nice looking as the clips on other 7mm pens.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I think an earlier post asked about an alternative to slims, unless I misread it. I suggested comforts which are a slimline with a different centerband. or the Slimline PRO ...

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Click mech

Correct me if I am wrong but the slimline pro is just the gel writer pro with a new name. I like the idea of the parker refill but I will not sell that pen because the click mechanism is not reliable, unless it has been improved since I last made one.

I consider (most) 7mm pens to be slimlines regardless of the name or the size of the CB. I don't use the centerband, at least not very often. Someone mentioned the clip on slimlines and I must admit I do not like or purchase the black line clip kits. Even the black line clips that are plain (without the black line) are not as nice looking as the clips on other 7mm pens.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I think an earlier post asked about an alternative to slims, unless I misread it. I suggested comforts which are a slimline with a different centerband. or the Slimline PRO ...

I don't know the origin of it but my wife has been using hers for about 4 years and the click mechanism has been flawless, that's why I kind of like it.
It is a gel-writer only because a refill with gel ink is sent with it, you can put in about any parker style ballpoint refill including the Schmidt easywriter 9000s we all like so much.

People who want a beefier slimline (7mm pen) might look at the Patrizio - shorter tubes, fancier cap and clip, different centerband but same assemply techniques.

Last edited:

sbell111

Probably ten percent of our sales are slimlines or comforts with the 'fancy' clips and centerbands. It does seem that quality is more of an issue with these kits than other styles. We rarely see plating problems (although we will never ever buy 'copper' again). Most of the problems that we see are related to tube size.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
style

Maybe I should start selling slims with a comfort ring added....make whichever pleases you....I don't sell comforts because even though I like them personally I can't seem to sell them and they're only a few cents more per kit than slimlines.

soligen

It is a gel-writer only because a refill with gel ink is sent with it, you can put in about any parker style ballpoint refill including the Schmidt easywriter 9000s we all like so much.

This refers to the slimline pro. The Private Reserve Easyflow 9000 will not fit this kit. The sticker on the barrel of the refill makes it too fat to go in through the nib coupler. If the schmidt has a sticker, it is likely too fat too.

Of course, you could peal off the sticker, or try to drill out the coupler.

The slimline pro's I used were from PSI about 11 months ago. I just made my last one a couple weeks ago and encountered this.

Last edited:

Mark

I've had very good luck with the regular gold, chrome and copper slimline pens. I do find that corian or acrylics are more popular than wood, but that is just my personal demographic. Yours may vary.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Really

This refers to the slimline pro. The Private Reserve Easyflow 9000 will not fit this kit. The sticker on the barrel of the refill makes it too fat to go in through the nib coupler. If the schmidt has a sticker, it is likely too fat too.

Of course, you could peal off the sticker, or try to drill out the coupler.

The slimline pro's I used were from PSI about 11 months ago. I just made my last one a couple weeks ago and encountered this.
Well that could be BUT I have Private Reservce EasyFlow 9000's that do not have a sticker (the label is printed on) on the barrel and it works just fine in my spouses Slimline Pro.

its_virgil

At one time the slimline pro was actually named .the 'Gel Writer Pro'. I'm glad you wife has had good luck with hers. That has not been my experience but I've not purchased any since the name change.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

It is a gel-writer only because a refill with gel ink is sent with it, you can put.

Top Bottom