Sierra blank trimming

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

I have been making a couple sierras, but having a terrible time getting the ends square. My sander is a bit wobbly, so building a squaring jig for it is problematic. I have been using a standard trimmer from WnW, and it works great for the tubes it came with inserts for, but I don't have an insert for sierras.

Does anyone sell a trimmer shaft or an adapter for them?

My other thought was to make one with a drill bit the correct diameter, but that has a higher risk of failure.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

louie

Jason,

I will send you a couple of delrin blanks that I've already pre-drilled to fit on the standard "A" pen mandrel. You just need to turn one down to fit inside the sierra tube. Save the other for another size. If I would have known you needed them, I would have sent them with your package.

Lou

DozerMite

Banned
Get with Johnnycnc. He has just what you need. I make all of my own now that I have a metal lathe to do it.

KenV

Take a look at this article by Don Ward

http://www.redriverpens.com/pdf files/makingbushings.pdf

Just make the bushing all the same diameter -- that of the inside of the sierra tube.

Or did you know that a cigar tube fits well inside a sierra tube -- if you have a cigar sized insert in a cigar tube you are set for a sierra

(that is one of the tricks for the long one piece cigar pens).

Or -- I make them from scraps with a standard slimeline tube glued in -- then turn to fit inside the sierra (need at least three points of contact inside the tube) with a skew.

They all fit the standard "D" mandrel based guide if the slimline tube is used.

Andrew_K99

You could make your own. Use a spare 7mm tube and put a piece of acrylic on it and turn it down to what ever diameter you need. I've done this a few times now.

AK

JohnU

I use a cigar pen tube inside the Derris tube and use a trier that fits the cigar tube. I don't remember what size it is.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I posted a method I use to square up the blank and tube on Feb. 1 titled, Improvised Barrel Trimmer...Free. When I us this I use my old Crapsman belt/disc sander to get it prettty close then use the IBT (catchy ain't it) and everything lines up well. If I could figure out how to insert the link to that post here I would.
WB

76winger

Fibonacci

I posted a method I use to square up the blank and tube on Feb. 1 titled, Improvised Barrel Trimmer...Free. When I us this I use my old Crapsman belt/disc sander to get it prettty close then use the IBT (catchy ain't it) and everything lines up well. If I could figure out how to insert the link to that post here I would.
WB

I had read that, but my trimmer is not flat on the back. It has a couple of stair steps.

I have been thinking about mounting a thin plate there to be able to stick sandpaper to.

Thanks for all the ideas. I will have to remember them the next time I need another size. Unfortunately for my budget, I ordered one when I found them, before waiting for replies.

Top Bottom