Tru-Stone + Skew = ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

Does tru-stone work very well with a skew? Most of what I have read says to use carbide, but I figured the material has been around long enough that there should be more ways to do it.

I was thinking to get one of the blanks that is rated as less challenging to try it on, if the skew is generally considered workable.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

witz1976

I use a skew all the time on Trustone. Depending on the type of it you may have to sharpen a bit during turning. But usually you can go straight to 600 grit then MM after the skew.

Fibonacci

I probably oversharpen, but once I discovered the difference a truly sharp skew makes, I started sharpening about twice per blank, whatever the material is.

(horrible grammar and syntax, but I am sick and it gets the point across)

76winger

I use an OLD CARBON STEEL skew when I turn my TruStone blanks, and have little problems.

Like Fibonacci, I sharpen a couple times (hand polishing up on oilstone and waterstone) once after rounding the blank, and again as I get down to that last 1/16th - 1/32nd of an inch, so I don't risk gouging it as I'm finishing up turning.

Dan_F

I believe there is a fair amount of variation in the hardness of Truestone, so it may depend upon the individual blank. I recently turned my first one, a black and red, and it was quite hard, even resisted the carbide tools more than I expected, skew needed frequent touch ups.

Word has it that the new Truestones, are made with a slightly different resin, as the old one is no longer available, so even the pliable ones are harder than they used to be.

Dan

lorbay

ok so what is true stone? Is it like corian and is it man made and if so what is the difference?? Between the 2.

Lin.

EricJS

Yes. You will need to keep it sharp.

I've never tried one of the harder trustones with regular HSS cutters, but I've done the easier ones.

Be patient. It will take a while.

DurocShark

ok so what is true stone? Is it like corian and is it man made and if so what is the difference?? Between the 2.

Lin.

It's manmade, but most of it (not all though) is harder and more brittle than Corian.

I've used a couple pieces, and it's quite beautiful.

76winger

The gold matrix ones have been what I consider the hardest on the skew so far, but still a second sharpening before finishing up is all I usually have to do, then run the sandpaper and Micro Mesh for a finely polished pen!

Top Bottom