Shriner's Peanut Boil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithlong

was a great success again this year. We left out on Friday, at 11:00am and got there at 3;30 pm, and began to go to work right away. The peanut boiling actually began on Wednesday. This is a big event for the community and for Shriner's. I took my camera with me was too busy to get any pics, my daughter did make a few and as soon as I get them I will post them.

They have 5 large vats that they boil the peanuts in and each vats hold 600 pounds of peanuts. After they have finished boiling they take them out and put them on tables that have wire bottoms on them to help them cool and drain. Then the work begins for the baggers, this is where we put them in paper bags, 5 lbs each, then they are sold. It was a lot of hard work, but a wonderful feeling knowing that you had a part in a wonderful cause. There were a total of 24 TONS of peanuts boiled and sold.

I want to personally thank each one of you who donated pens, kits and blanks. I carried a total of 55 pens with us. I gave them to my father in law and asked him to pass them out to all the volunteers and the Shriners that were there. It was a great sight to see him hand those out and see the expression on those folks faces when they recieved their pen. Every one of them were handed out and I got a personal thank you from each one of them.

I gave IAP credit for helping me make this possible. So again to all of you, Thank You very much.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

t001xa22

I can't tell you how happy I am to have been a small part of that, Keith. Like I said before, the Shriners are a AAA+ organization, and I have supporting them for pretty well all of my life.

edicehouse

Not to be a jerk or anything, but what do shriners do? I honestly thought it was a group of old guys that just have a club and ride the small cars in the parade. Please educate me (and probably a few others).

BKelley

Ed,

The Shriners are a faternity of men who sponsor a lot of good causes. For years they have had the Shriners hospital here in Atlanta for crippled children. There was no cash register at the door. No child was ever turned away because of financial problems.
They sponsor many sporting events with the motto " Strong legs run so weak legs may walk". They have burn centers scattered across the country for children. Although they are closely associated with the Masons, they are not a part of Masonary. And yes they do drive funny little cars, motocycles and have a lot of fun.
My hats off to them!!

Ben

keithlong

Thanks ED,
They are a wonderful group of guys, My little grandson has had 2 major surgeries done by the hospital in cincinatti Ohio, and has another one scheduled for this coming October. They do a lot of great things for children.

Top Bottom