Should I downsize to a minilathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gatornick

I currently have a Jet 12-36, but we are moving, and I was thinking about downsizing to a Jet minilathe to save space. I pretty much only make pens and small bowls so I don't think losing the size will make a difference. Will losing motor size be a detriment in making small bowls, and will I miss the easier speed adjustment that much? Thanks for any insight, I am torn at the moment.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

I just went to the 12-36 (a knock off of anyway) and the speed change is a big deal for me. It does not take a lot of time to change belts on pulleys but for me it is a fidgety thing and I hate fidgety. for me it makes the difference of doing a project or just thinking and fretting about it. I can't speak for the power but I was thinking that they can swing a Nova2 Chuck so I would think they have the power for a bowl that will fit in them. Best to verify that though. Having been turning for quite a while I don't really think you will find yourself regretting the overall capacity issue though. as for me I already know I turn long stuff once in a while. 2 feet of my lathe is never used 11 months out of the year. but when I want it I am really happy to have it. plus it makes convenient bench space even when turning pens.

Russell Eaton

I have a 10-14 VS and the 12-36. The 10-14 is IMHO under powered for anything over a very small bowl. If I were to do it over I would look hard at the new Delta. It has a 1 horse motor and can add a bed ext. to be comparable with the 12-36. I have tried to turn a medium size bowl on the mini but it was too much strain on the motor. Hope this helps, Russell

jeffnreno

I Would Not Go Back To Non VS Lathe

I started with a Jet Mini (model before variable speed was available.)
I turned a lot of smal projects pens, stoppers, lidded boxes.
When I got in to bowls I found that the non variable speed was an issue for me and upgraded to the Nova Dvr. I still use the mini when I teach the Wood merit badge but other then that it is the holder of my buff system and all my turning is on the Nova.
To me you can certainly turn bowls on the mini and I have - but I really enjoy the variable speed.

Good luck with your decision
Jeff

gatornick

Thanks guys. Your opinions definitely helped. I think I am going to stick with the 12-36 and find a way to make room for it. Thanks.

fernhills

Hi, even though you don`t turn long spindles it is nice to slide that tail stock way back out of the way when you want to turn the end or face of a piece. You know, like a pendant,or when you are drilling. Carl

Top Bottom