Should I close or not?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

As some here know my Dad who is 92 has server dementia and Mom who is 86 can no longer take care of him so we're moving them from Florida to come live with us. I'm flying out on the 23rd this Thursday to load up their furniture in a U-Haul and drive them back with me. I hope to leave Florida on Monday at the latest and should be back by mid day Wed. My concern is do I close up Classic's for the 6-7 days or leave it open and on each page give a reminder that no orders will be shipped until the 30th. We've always taken pride that we ship the same day if the order was received by noon or the next day if afternoon.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

t001xa22

Roy, I only speak for myself, but I am of the belief that family comes first, after the Good Lord above. Although many loyal customers here will miss you for those few days, I dare say there is not a one of us that would not understand the circumstances, and support you in it. Again, just my humble opinion. In the end, you will do what is best for you and your family.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Leave it open and let people know. We are a pretty small community and understand that there are somethings in life that are beyond our control. It owuld be better to have an order placed that will be shipped as soon as it can be rather than have to remember to come back and place it again. The only concern would be if you cant control inventory/purchases on limited run items like your special blanks and you sell more than you have.

OKLAHOMAN

That is a concern, as my software will not adjust inventory, but I can take my laptop and adjust inventory each night. Thanks for bringing that up and reminding me.

Leave it open and let people know. We are a pretty small community and understand that there are somethings in life that are beyond our control. It owuld be better to have an order placed that will be shipped as soon as it can be rather than have to remember to come back and place it again. The only concern would be if you cant control inventory/purchases on limited run items like your special blanks and you sell more than you have.

ToddMR

Being you can't do inventory other than manually, I would close it and put a message up that you will reopen on the 30th. I think its a distraction you don't need right now. Take care of mom and dad, then reopen when you get back or before you leave if you want. That's my opinion anyhow.

renowb

Roy, do whatever is best for you. Family first. You can leave it open, but if it will stress you out more, close it. We all will understand. Will be praying for you guys.

Kretzky

If you can afford not to close for the period, that's wahat I'd do. Perhaps put up a notice saying that "due to a family circumstances, the store will be closed from 22nd to 30th, please return after that date when we will be pleased to accommodate you".
I don't know how difficult or time consuming "inventory control" is but as Todd MR posted, you really don't need any added burdens on top of what will be a difficult/ busy time anyway. Your own & your family's well being come first in my book.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
David

brownsfn2

Even larger retail stores on the internet do this. Take B&H photo (I think that is the one). There is a certain Jewish Holiday that they recognize and they say on the front page of their site that they will be closed and shipments will be delayed. You might miss some orders but that will be for people who need custom orders filled. I look at the site often and would miss it if down. (I dream of buying high priced blanks) :)

LarryDNJR

Being you can't do inventory other than manually, I would close it and put a message up that you will reopen on the 30th. I think its a distraction you don't need right now. Take care of mom and dad, then reopen when you get back or before you leave if you want. That's my opinion anyhow.

I would go with what Todd said.

Plus with what someone else mentioned earlier we are a small community and understand situations arise. I think everyone can handle 1-2 week down time.

Take care of your family sir and wish you the best.

Larry

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
If your stock doesn't automatically adjust, then just close shop until 'real life' has been sorted. Family is the only important thing here.
You could end up in a big tangle if you leave it open and then find you need longer than your anticipated week or so.

I suspect that 99% of your customers are members here and they will now know of your situation and therefore fully understand.

Best wishes to your Mom, Dad and especially to you.
Take care Roy

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Roy,
Of course it is your decision but you will have your hands full, be bone tired, be emotionally stressed, and need to give your undivided attention to your parents while you can. I would suggest for you to close it down for a few days.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I would close. You never know how much time you will really need and why worry about the business when there are more important things to handle. The pen making community survived before Classics and will be there for you when you are ready to reopen. Wishing you only the best.

PenMan1

I'd leave it open with a banner that says when the orders will get shipped. Even a priest gets to take a few sundays off. Your customers will understand that family comes first, but the bills still have to be paid.

AND.... Anything I can do to help, I will!

Tom D

Roy,
Take care of family first. You have a loyal customer base and we all understand. Shut it down until the date you chose.
Take care
Tom

Haynie

There is a photo store in NY, B&H Photo, They close for every jewish holiday. They put a reminder on the home page that says when they will be closed and when they will ship orders. Those of us who order from them plan around their schedule or wait for the order to go out. Close, put the gone for 7 days sign up and it will be there when you get back.

If someone gets mad because you are taking care of your family you do not want them as a customer anyway.

Texatdurango

Except for the added heavy Welch accent, Skip took the words right out of my mouth!

At first I was going to say to just put a note on the home page and again at checkout reminding folks that there would be a delay BUT... since redoing inventory might be a problem and issuing refunds due to over selling would cause even more work, perhaps a sign sayig "Closed for XXX days".

I can't imagine you trying to burden yourself by updating your website every night while trying to get a truck loaded, everyone fed and taken care of and sorting out all the minor details that will pop up.

George

If your stock doesn't automatically adjust, then just close shop until 'real life' has been sorted. Family is the only important thing here.
You could end up in a big tangle if you leave it open and then find you need longer than your anticipated week or so.

I suspect that 99% of your customers are members here and they will now know of your situation and therefore fully understand.

Best wishes to your Mom, Dad and especially to you.
Take care Roy

Top Bottom