Shaving Brush Finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

marcsitkin

Hello all-

I decided to take a short detour from penturning to make a couple shaving brushes. I'm using Tamboti, and wonder what might be a durable finish for it? The brush is going to spend it's life going through soap, hot water and drying cycles.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penmaker1967

i used poly on mine. i dipped it about 6 times letting it dried a day or so between coats. seems to have worked pretty well for me

marcsitkin

Thanks, I was thinking about using poly. Ended up putting on several coats of WaterLox, which I'll test before I put the brush into the handle.

marcsitkin

Here are two photos of the finished brush. It looks good at a casual glance, but close inspection reveals fine concentric scratches.

It was sanded with 6 grits through 600, both while turning and stopped, going with the grain.

Finish was 4 coats of Waterlox, light steel wool 0000 grade between coats. Dried overnight.

Need help to reduce the scratching. Have another to do, and would like to improve the quality.

fernhills

Hi, i use c/a, but i try to keep the contour of the handle in shape of a genie bottle so the c/a won`t accumulate and cause issues with the c/a for me. I use personally, a Wenge wood handle for the last year with no finish at all, nothing happened. I occasionally wipe it down with baby oil, b/c that is what is in the bathroom vanity. Carl

Top Bottom