Sharpening systems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

Planning on buying a sharpening system soon. I've finally been playing with a cheap set of traditional tools I got with my lathe and really liking them over carbide.

The wolverine seems to be great but is the vari-grind jig needed? Description of the basic system says it works for gouges but I assume that the vari-grind jig is better for bowl gouges/fingernail grind?

Also this one seems to be a wolverine clone but for a better price with the jig. Any users of this system?
Complete 4pc Precision Sharpening System at Penn State Industries

I was interested in Capt Eddie's Blackhawk system but with him being out I don't think it is an option.

Thanks as always!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wildman

I have been using basic Wolverine system with Vari-grind jig for over twenty years. You want the Vari-grind jig for spindle gouges too! Also have the optional skew jig and wasted my money, so sharpen my skews free hand. I prefer the Wolverine system with Vari grind jig and think it is worth the extra money.

Cannot comment on the PSI's Wolverine clone never used that system but there are several positive reviews at the web site. Not sure of the price difference between Wolverine & PSI guess if use the 10% coupon PSI is cheaper. Quality though belongs to Wolverine!

Bottom line a sharpening system will give you repeatability at the grinder every time. Yes there is a small learning curve. So buy what you can afford!

nativewooder

The Varigrind Jig, when set up properly with the Wolverine system, allow you to sharpen all gouges to the same angles. There is/was a video showing how to properly set it up and how to properly sharpen a turning gouge.

I can't imagine any clone being able to outperform the Wolverine System no matter if you can save a few bucks!

southernclay

Thanks guys, I have to fight my cheap side :biggrin:

Wildman I just started doing the skew freehand based on a Capt Eddie video and seems to be going pretty well so far. The tools are Great Neck so nice to have them to practice with and then upgrade individual tools as I go.

It will be a long term tool so a few bucks now won't really matter. The positive reviews of the PSI system make it tempting though. I was hoping to see a special pop up on the wolverine for black Friday but no dice so far.

Last edited:

Cmiles1985

I bought the WorkSharp WS3000 along with the tool bar, the Tormek jigs, etc. and I've been happy. The one thing I learned IMMEDIATELY after overcoming the learning curve is: I had NEVER used a sharp tool...not even carbide. Anyhow, count this as my vote for the WS3000

flyitfast

CSUSA uses the Wolverine system in their classes and instructor Kirk DeHeer has videos on their website on the use of the Wolverine. Kirk is their "chief" sharpener and is a big help to talk to.
I am happy with my Wolverine and do use the Varigrind to produce consistency in the grind.
gordon

DLGunn

I built a homemade version of the Wolverine jig. I did buy the Vari-grind jig to use in it and it works great. Very little materials are needed to build you own.

There are some pics on my blog. Sharpen Spindle and Roughing Gouges - Post of the Week - dlgWoodWorkblg If you would like any more info or additional pics, let me know. This is some discussion on my blog post about other options for sharpening, but I like the Wolverine style jig the best.

Last edited:

southernclay

I built a homemade version of the Wolverine jig. I did buy the Vari-grind jig to use in it and it works great. Very little materials are needed to build you own.

There are some pics on my blog. Sharpen Spindle and Roughing Gouges - Post of the Week - dlgWoodWorkblg If you would like any more info or additional pics, let me know. This is some discussion on my blog post about other options for sharpening, but I like the Wolverine style jig the best.

Thanks, I'm tempted to try the homemade route but my times been limited lately and want to be turning more lately. But that's a great design.

BTW, nice blog! I looked back a while and saw the reindeer post, I'm gonna have to try to make a couple of those for my wife before Christmas.

Wildman

southernclay

Thanks for the kind words about the blog Warren.

Here is a link to the site where I got the general idea to be able to build my own Wolverine jig. Wood Turning Tools: Sharpening Jig (3)

That's a cool site, I haven't seen those instructions but I found it when I first heard of an Oland tool and made one a couple of months ago. Haven't been able to hand sharpen it too well so looking forward to sharpening it properly and playing with it more.

Look at the Sharp Fast system too. It has the benefits for sharpening gouges, but you can't roll the tool off the wheel.
It isn't as versatile as the Wolverine in that it doesn't have the pocket jig for roughing (or other 90 degree gouges), but I like the function of it.
I would recommend you buy the Oneway system, without the Vari-Grind and then buy a Sharpfast S900.
That way you get the Oneway receivers (the thing that locks down the sliding rods) , the Oneway pocket guide for sharpening roughing gouges, and then with the Sharpest you get the jig for grinding spindle and bowl gouges.

Under full disclosure, I sell the S900, but buy it from anywhere, it is a good product. I use it in my shop and use that as the go-too jig for my students. I just don't like the receivers (the part that locks down the fore-aft jig) that Sharpfast sells, they are too tall.

Last edited:

wyone

I have never heard of the Sharpfast S900 but it looks great. I am hoping to get a new grinder and Wolverine jig from Santa, and if so, I may look at adding this to the system. It does look like it would work way better than the Wolverine jig. I like the fact that it has a solid rod to pivot on.

Fay Prozora

I think next pay day I'm going ot get the One way Wolverine jig and stuff. I saw one on Amazon and it says there is a DVD that shows how to put it together and such. I can't sharpen a tool worth beans with out some kind of a jig to use. So I will invest in some thing like that Fay

Top Bottom