Maintenance advice needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ChinaDad

Ok guys. I need some help. I moved the Rockwell-delta 46-450 lathe to my house today. I briefly plugged it in and flipped the switch to see if the motor ran and turned the speed control to see if the reeves drive worked. Ran it for 30 secs or less.

The motor ran....yeah!:biggrin:

The reeves drive changed the speed but did not lock in place (easy fix I think)...yeah!:biggrin:

Now for the help. I know that there are certain points that need to be lubricated and cleaned before I really use this lathe. It has sat for 6+ years in a machine shop. Does anyone know what regular maintenance needs to be done? What needs to be lubricated? Will it be obvious when I remove the cover?

I currently use a shopsmith and oil the sheeves on a regular basis. I also know never the turn the speed control without the motor running.

Any advise or tips would be greatly appreciated.

KenV

David -- two schools of thought on Reeves Drives and woodworking. One says use dry lubricants such as graphite or similar --- the other says to use oil per manufactures directions. I fall towards the dry lubricants side.

if the sheaves are moving freely, life if good

If the belt is in good condition, Life is better

That should be a good work horse -- perhaps a bit fast for out of round bowl stock.

Great overkill for pens and such

Top Bottom