Shale Slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RAdams

RAdams

Banned
Shale from 1.5 miles underground, unearthed by an oil rig. cleaned, seperated, and then cast in pearl white PR.

All comments welcome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shale

Attachments

• shale pen finished.JPG
    shale pen finished.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 308
  • shale pen closeup finished.jpg
    shale pen closeup finished.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 194
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
It was incredibly difficult to turn. The density difference between the shale and PR is incredible. The shale comes off as pure dust, and is very rough on regular HSS tools. Almost impossible with HSS in fact. The oil rig uses diamond bits to drill through it. The edges of the blanks kept trying to fall apart because of how thin it is. I think it would be alot better on a pen with thicker material allowances.

This one didn't come out perfect, but it is my first success after several catastrophic failures.

David Keller

That's pretty cool, but Ron, you're casting ROCKS?:eek:

I need to get that albaster in the mail to you, so you can at least have relatively soft rocks to play with.:biggrin:

RAdams

Banned
That's pretty cool, but Ron, you're casting ROCKS?:eek:

I need to get that albaster in the mail to you, so you can at least have relatively soft rocks to play with.:biggrin:

Thank you! I like to try stuff that might be different than the norm. I am looking forward to trying to Alabaster! I have heard that it is pretty tough to work with. I am looking forward to the challenge!

PS. your box goes out Wed. morning.

Top Bottom