shaker oval box

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mickr

mickr

Maple with quartersawn sycamore lid...these are made just as the shakers made them hundreds of years ago..planed to specific thickness for each size box, steambent, and held together with cinched copper tacks and wood pegs.:hammer: .NO GLUE danish oil, buffed

Attachments

• DSCN0678.jpg
    DSCN0678.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 166
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mickr

Very nice. I love Shaker boxes. Do you taper the thickness at the ends? Just wondering how you do that with the performax.
..the quick answer is you don't..I use a regular belt sander to taper the ends..hand held & quick & dirty..one end tapered so the overlap isn't too fat & the other at the finger end so it is not so hard to cut the fingers and shape them....I love shaker boxes too..they are a grand look back to woodworking techniques of years ago that made the trip to today..very useful and can be very very pretty

mickr

Nice.. I'm keen to build a few as well. Did you actually steam bend them around the form?
I believe that was answered in my original post...do I not understand your question? Are you suggesting can be made a different way? I've made & sold hundreds over the years and steambending is the only way I am aware of, and since I am reproducing the shakers..I bend as they did

mikemac

Hmm.. must pay more attention :biggrin:

Do you have any pics of the box you use for steaming.. interested in building my own...

M.

I believe that was answered in my original post...do I not understand your question? Are you suggesting can be made a different way? I've made & sold hundreds over the years and steambending is the only way I am aware of, and since I am reproducing the shakers..I bend as they did

mickr

Hmm.. must pay more attention :biggrin:

Do you have any pics of the box you use for steaming.. interested in building my own...

M.
Make it long..as the box sizes increase ( they are sized to go inside each other) the bands get very long..I use a gutter with ends..and a wood top...put on my kitchen gas range to heat hope that helps

Top Bottom