Shaken not stirred

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Knucklefish

Knucklefish

Make this walnut cocktail shaker from a kit I got from Woodcraft. The wood is native walnut from Arkansas. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• cocktail shaker walnut.jpg
    cocktail shaker walnut.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 315
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Awesome Walnut shaker! I wood have never thought of that....

What is inside the walnut, a glass of some sort or bare wood?

Scott

Knucklefish

Actually the kit has a stainless steel "shell" that fits right inside. It's all sort of self contained in one piece of stainless steel plus the lid. Once the form is turned you simply insert it and glue it down with epoxy. The trick is getting the "lip" of the shaker vessel/form to fit the edge of the wood (at the top of the shaker). You have to cut a 1/16 tenon about 1/4 long to make it fit. Not really that hard. The hard part is drilling the blank with a large (forget the size) forsner bit about 7" deep. That took me about an hour to do.

You should recognize the wood, it came from YOU!

Awesome Walnut shaker! I wood have never thought of that....

What is inside the walnut, a glass of some sort or bare wood?

Scott

Last edited:

Knucklefish

It comes with all you'll need including the 2 piece top and the vessel/insert. In fact, ther're on sale now. It's really easy to make. Might want to down load the instructions as you'll need a very large forsner bit and probably an 6-8" extension unless you tail stock quill is very long.

Cool! I've seen those in the catalog. Now I gotta try one. Did you just use the skaker top from another shaker or are they selling the tops?

Last edited:

Knucklefish

You certainly could. Having not done many other hollow forms I was just following the instructions that came with the kit. I made this first one and used their method. The forstner bit just gave me a head start on what eventually was finished cutting out with a Unitool I got from an IAP member. For some folks that might not be as adept with a gouge it might be a good place to start. Others with more experience could certainly just use a gouge and let er rip.

it's basically a hollow form - why use a forstner bit? Why not just use a bowl gouge - it would be quicker.

Top Bottom