September PITH Pictures!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Rounder...

I keep coming back to your pen and I think it is brilliant!

You have combined a traditional (albet difficult to turn blank) pen blank with the "newer" elements of of metal/springs/etc... steampunk). It is a great final product. Springs, pumps, tubes, ... Great innovation!

Nicely done!

Rounder

Rounder...

I keep coming back to your pen and I think it is brilliant!

You have combined a traditional (albet difficult to turn blank) pen blank with the "newer" elements of of metal/springs/etc... steampunk). It is a great final product. Springs, pumps, tubes, ... Great innovation!

Nicely done!

Thank you so much for the kind words.

healeydays

I received the xtra PITH swap with reddwil and all I can say is fine job sir...

In my goodie package, was a beautiful steampunk/watch part pen and 2 other items that one I have to argue might not fit steampunk. One is a set of blanks for a Jr Gent which looks steampunky to me, and the other is a nice blank for a sierra. The sierra is the one I can't say is steampunk, it looks more medieval with a beautiful cross which any knight of the crusades would have loved to carry (if they had pens like that back then).

At first glance, I hear my wife exclaim "MINE"...

Thanks again Kent, great job...

Mike B

Attachments

• reddwil swap 2.jpg
    reddwil swap 2.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 171
  • reddwil swap 3.jpg
    reddwil swap 3.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 168
  • reddwil swap 4.jpg
    reddwil swap 4.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 171
  • reddwil swap 1.jpg
    reddwil swap 1.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 184

reddwil

Thanks Mike and thanks for giving me the opportunity to join the PITH late. Your a stand up guy for offering, It was a pleasure. And make the cross blank for your wife. She deserves it.

MIKL

I receive this awesome pen from MIK in Austrailia. The package contained the pen, two blanks, and two wooden blanks. I really like this one.....please forgive the picture, haven't had time to make a good photo yet...

i am very happy to hear that it arrived safe and sound, i did say that i wanted to keep this one for myself and i wasn't joking.... i need a new work pen, i gave the last one away:rolleyes:

here are a few pickies that i snapped before it went into the post

all the best

MIK

Attachments

• DSCN5068edt.JPG
    DSCN5068edt.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCN5069edt.JPG
    DSCN5069edt.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCN5070edt.JPG
    DSCN5070edt.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 119

JasonC

Received my pen from SSobel today. It's a cigar with blanks cast from embossed aluminum and copper with watch parts thrown in as well.

Fit and finish on this is outstanding. Awesome work, Steve!:biggrin:

Attachments

• 10702213_842275025805358_4243760522197445405_n.jpg
    10702213_842275025805358_4243760522197445405_n.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 10624906_842275075805353_3241976226598944292_n.jpg
    10624906_842275075805353_3241976226598944292_n.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 10418238_842275102472017_4880188556142083889_n.jpg
    10418238_842275102472017_4880188556142083889_n.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 10365837_842275122472015_4972901582451155002_n.jpg
    10365837_842275122472015_4972901582451155002_n.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 133

Si90

Cigar kit with plating blank seems to be very popular, all are excellent too, I like each one of them for different reasons.

Brooks803

Here's the pen I received from Mark James. I actually got this early is Sept. I just had some things come up that kept me away from the shop to take these pics. Mark please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a Pensar kit that's without the clip. The blank is really cool. It's a distressed brass tube with two aluminum washers that have been indexed, drilled, and a threaded with tiny brass rods. Each rod is capped with an even smaller brass nut. All cast in alumilite. Thank you again Mark! I didn't take a pic of the blanks I received, only so no none would be jealous because I made out like a bandit!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I suspect you would have Simon!!!

I won't admit to my learning curve for those few...:eek::eek::eek:

It was fun, and I may do it again, when I retire and have the time.

Later today I'll post some pictures of what I did - hopefully others more versed with metals will take it and run and show me how to really do it!

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I didn't copy Brooks803 pictures, so you can look above (NICE Pics Jonathon!).

I started with a Pensar Kit from Berea Hardwoods. Ditched the center band, and went with the smalled tube that would accept the transmission. I don't remember what size tube I actually used. I filed down the Nib and Clip Assemblies to accept the smaller tube.

This was sized to match the original tubes (2) and center band length.

Then I cut (3/8" I think) aluminum mending plates into small squares, drilled holes to fit the small tube, sandwiched onto the mandrel and turned to size. I made more as I suspected "issues."

Then the fun... drilling 1mm holes... MANY drill bits later... I ended up (as Simon had told me in an earlier thread) I had to drill by hand to control the small diameter drills. It took a long time, but actually worked with nice precision.

The rods were then cut to size, and fitted with 1.5MM acorn nuts.

Then cast in Alumilite (This was going to Brooks803 :eek:. I had to cast something!!!).

I certainly hope someone will take this rough attempt and run with it!

Attachments

• IMG_1071.jpg
    IMG_1071.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1072.jpg
    IMG_1072.jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1074.jpg
    IMG_1074.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1085.jpg
    IMG_1085.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 131

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I actually had blisters on my palm. That's why the design of a full circle was "modified". :tongue:

You should see the state of my hands after my Steampunk Pens.:mad:

I can only imagine!

But your suggestion to use the pin vise was excellent. The drills are so thin that I snapped 4 before "going over to the dark side" and drilling it by hand. I have to admit - by hand was precise as I didn't have much room between the ID and OD of the aluminum washers. The acorn nuts were 1.5 mm (HUGE!!!) so there was not a lot of space for the drill to wander.

One variation I wanted to try... After inserting as many rods as desired; twist one of the washers to give a spiral effect :wink:. This pulled the rods in towards the middle, but if the entire washer was nut-nut around its diameter, I thought this would be a cool effect. With as few rods as I used, this didn't look as good as I hoped...

Another variation. In one of the pictures you can see a trial, I was trying to apply aluminum foil and paint (Like MIKL does) outside of the washers. I had a hard time getting it all together, so I may revisit this when old and grey (hey, that's now...).

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
The Seahawks are now my 2nd favorite team...

Here's the awesome pen & goodies that I received from Jeff Vogan (Skeleton2014) today.

This was Jeff's first casting attempt & he hit it out of the park! The blank has "riveted" HVAC duct tape & copper tape like many steampunk blanks, but Jeff gave this one a special touch by adding some Indian Motorcycle logo decals. They really dress up the blank & it goes perfectly with the copper WSII kit. The casting, fit & finish are all spot on - hard to believe it's a first-time casting.

Besides having to buy a mold, casting resin & other stuff to make the blank, Jeff must have used up at least a tank of gas for all his trips to get just the right materials & supplies to make the blank & decals. I am truly honored to receive this pen.

In addition, Jeff included 4 beautiful blanks - a couple of George's old Australian Cypress, a really nice piece of Ziricote & a "Gold Coast" Inlace Acrylester blank.

The Seahawks cap was quite a surprise & they are now my 2nd favorite NFL team! (at least until someone sends me another cap :))

Jeff also has quite a sense of humor. He saw my comment about not liking figs in George's recent contest, so he made a special trip into town to pick up a Fig Newton bar from the Australian section of his supermarket for me. What a guy!

My pictures don't do this pen justice, so if you have some better ones Jeff, please post them. Thanks a million!

Edgar

Attachments

• Contents1.jpg
    Contents1.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 145
  • Pen2.jpg
    Pen2.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

wyone

So Mark just sort of cobbled the threaded rods together? I was looking for the double nuts and washers. I mean SHEESH..

WAY more patience than I have these days, plus, for some reason those darn eye things make it hard to do such delicate work anymore. But really, amazing, and I would say inspirational, but I know I would never be able to accomplish what you did

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Mitch:

Actually, it was a fun enterprise!

This is where I ordered the rods and nuts from (expensive, but they have to make a profit also!!! They were great to order from, and I WILL try this again)>

Scale Hardware, the world's finest scale model fasteners

I think I got the address from Si90's Library article. As typical, folks are willing to share and indicate resources.

This was such a pain-In-The-A.. That I will have to try some new ideas!!!

Blame Simon!

Turning the Aluminum was ... relatively easy! I used my Easy Wood Carbides and going slow, it went fine. Driling the holes was a pain, but alas!!! I REALLY wanted to make a blank with the acorn nuts abuting against each other, for a full circle. That was not in the cards. Maybe IAP folks with metal lathe skills will show us how to do this. After 12 holes (6 x 2 washers) my hands were raw... Can't imagine if Simon does it this way!

But - Try something and let us know!

Mark

So Mark just sort of cobbled the threaded rods together? I was looking for the double nuts and washers. I mean SHEESH..

WAY more patience than I have these days, plus, for some reason those darn eye things make it hard to do such delicate work anymore. But really, amazing, and I would say inspirational, but I know I would never be able to accomplish what you did

wyone

Mark.. well I actually sent my pen TO Simon.. lol.. no where nearly as intricate as so many that have been posted, but I have to say I really did enjoy it. I had way more hours in it than in the previous group of pens, but I think I enjoyed making it more as well. I really like doing off the wall things, using weird materials, I guess being DIFFERENT.

And I was impressed with your pen.. it was awesome

plantman

They say good things are worth waiting for, and this was no exception !!!! JasonC sent me this fantastic pen from Hawaii that he had modified with his own designs and ideas. It starts with a PSI Steampunk kit in antique copper and brass and spirals upward from there. Tubes have been painted black with brass ribs added. Several gears and tubes were also added on raised valves. Sitting in the black velvet case, realy makes this pen stand out !!! He said plan A didn't work out, and this was plan B. He is defnitely working with a different set of letters than I do !!!! The blanks he sent are an assortment of Hawaiian woods including several types of Koa, Kiaat, and Mallee. Thank you Jason for the outstanding pen and blanks. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0072 (800x513).jpg
    DSCF0072 (800x513).jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCF0073 (800x243).jpg
    DSCF0073 (800x243).jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 158
  • DSCF0074 (800x782).jpg
    DSCF0074 (800x782).jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 183

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
They say good things are worth waiting for, and this was no exception !!!! JasonC sent me this fantastic pen from Hawaii that he had modified with his own designs and ideas. It starts with a PSI Steampunk kit in antique copper and brass and spirals upward from there. Tubes have been painted black with brass ribs added. Several gears and tubes were also added on raised valves. Sitting in the black velvet case, realy makes this pen stand out !!! He said plan A didn't work out, and this was plan B. He is defnitely working with a different set of letters than I do !!!! The blanks he sent are an assortment of Hawaiian woods including several types of Koa, Kiaat, and Mallee. Thank you Jason for the outstanding pen and blanks. Jim S

That is a nice set of modifications! Very cool Jason. These pens just keep getting better and better!

JasonC

You hid that curly Koa blank.:tongue:

Glad it arrived well. There was a delay in tracking that had me worried.

plantman

You hid that curly Koa blank.:tongue:

Glad it arrived well. There was a delay in tracking that had me worried.

Jason; I am sure you be seeing that curly koa blank in the very near future. I am waiting for delivey on a special drill bit for the kit I have for it. Thanks again !! Jim S

Joe S.

That pen was me putting a piece of aluminum on my metal lathe and going "uhhhhhhhhhh, steampunk." and it just sort of happened. Lots of fun and it inspired me for a future pen!

JasonC

Jim,

I couldn't type much earlier - was in town with the family and checked the phone while waiting for the girls to try on clothes. :rolleyes: Now that I can type somewhat efficiently...

The Koa is obviously from here in Hawaii. Actually from a neighbor - his wife's family has a ranch on the Big Island. The pre-cut, bundled blanks are some he cut and gave me. I've got quite a bit (a lot, actually) so I decided to pass some along.

The Brown Mallee is Australian.

The wood I wrote Koko on is also known as Lebbeck - also from Australia.

The Kiaat is from South/Central Africa.

I can't remember if I put any other species in there. :confused:

I hoped you'd like the pen. I felt like crap having to make that one because the original I idea I had became insanely more complicated than I had time for. The best laid plans are nothing without time to execute them. :rolleyes:

Reality is there never was a Plan B but I was forced to come up with one.

But since you mentioned Plan A...

My original idea wasn't a steampunk pen, but instead a steampunk pen holder. The pen was to be a Princeton kit made from Eucalyptus burl. That pen would sit inside a rocket - also made from Eucalyptus burl. The pen, when inserted in the rocket body, would form the tip of the rocket. In addition, the weight of the pen would close a microswitch that would turn on LEDs inside the rocket and illuminate various parts of the pen holder.

The reasoning was that I didn't want to cast blanks because I felt a lot of people would do that. I also didn't want to steal Simon's style (even though it's, in my opinion, THE way to go). I wanted to do something different. I also didn't want to make a wild pen that wouldn't be comfortable/enjoyable to use. I figured I could make a nice pen (the Princeton) and instead of focusing my effort on the pen, put the effort into the pen holder. I thought if I made a cool pen holder the pen would be more apt to actually be used/displayed instead of being stored away in a case.

While the plan worked in my head (and I know it eventually will when I find time to fully execute it) I just didn't have time to complete it. Main issue is packaging. There's a lot going on in very little space.

This was the 1:1 drawing I did to plan everything out. You can see the Princeton on the right. 1:1 drawings are awesome because you can scan it into the computer to save and print copies for making templates.
10483133_823856104313917_917000027629902348_n.jpg

Spent 5.56 cartridges for booster rockets with red LEDs. Brass tubes would hide the LED wiring and attach the boosters to the main body. Never got farther than this first test piece with one hole drilled.
10678639_824140654285462_1529487445026595466_n.jpg

I made eight brass fins on the router using the template made from a copy of the drawing, some ply, spray adhesive, and scroll saw.
1907447_824156584283869_1060918722643445930_n.jpg

1907822_824178550948339_722731405098031473_n.jpg

Scuffed some Lexan and edge lit the lexan with blue LEDs. Bench test.
10469224_824255940940600_6723698086677627943_n.jpg

10665988_824255974273930_7704524592822550706_n.jpg

10593045_824255994273928_1408917547416707189_n.jpg

Made this guy. A porthole.
10505308_825469987485862_5300229621925900380_n.jpg

I then test fit a green LED inside the rocket body.
10629796_825470014152526_1746041900690000367_n.jpg

...and that's as far as I got. :frown:

The unit would've had an internal 12V battery, the weight-actuated micro-switch, another on/off switch, 12 blue LEDs, four red LEDs, one green LED, and a bit of wiring. Then all the aging/assembly/finishing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom