Sentimental Mirrors

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fibonacci

Fibonacci

I made these mirrors for my nieces for their birthdays this year.

The maple is from a tree that my grandfather (their great-grandfather) planted on the family homestead sometime back in the day. Unfortunately, he recently sold the last of the land. While I was helping him move, I came across some maple planks he had cut when the tree fell down.

The girls have never met him, and probably never will, but it seemed like a fitting use for some wood that has been in the family for a long time. They are turning 4 and 6 and are getting new maple vanities for their bedrooms and this is my contribution.

One loves purple and the other pink, so I used some scraps of purpleheart I had around to do the accents on one and some pink ivory from MarkGum to make the other.

They are not amazing pieces, as I am not really that good of a woodworker, but they are serviceable and I expect the history of the wood to make them significant for some time to come. Worst case, my sister can adopt them and have her own story to tell.

The mirrors are 6" diameter and the handles are 1/2x3/8.

Attachments

• mirror_back.jpg
    mirror_back.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 148
  • mirror_front.jpg
    mirror_front.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 157
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

A gift with a family story is always better. Print the family story on a nice piece of paper and include it in the gift. Today, it may be meaningless, but down the road, the story may be more important than the actual reflection in the glass. This will be a wonderful personal gift that includes their own history.

By the way, the mirrors look just great.
Charles

Fibonacci

also....what I would do, is take some photo's of the girls reflections in the mirrors

I like that. I will have to see if I can get their mom to take some pictures when they get them. Unfortunately, I live several thousand miles away. I have seen the girls once, other than a visit when the older one was about 6 months old.

Woodlvr

(Maybe include a picture of "granddad" some where in the story also.) Like Mike said, Decoupage a picture of yourself on the back of the mirrors.:rolleyes:
They are very nice looking mirrors-do not sell yourself short. My granddaughters are into sports so their hair is always in pony tails or under hats.

markgum

Beautiful work. I agree with all the comments, a note with the histroy, a photo, they will become treasured items with time. Glad the pink ivory worked for you.

Top Bottom