Segmented Bowl/Vessel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

Just finished this one off tonight.
It was from an ongoing tutorial conducted by Greg Sayers to get some members in the Segmented Turning board in my site for ones that had never tried a segmented bowl to follow along with his step by step instructions . It is in it's seventh page and I am sure it will go to more than ten as the others show their own progress. ..
I had already turned a few basic segmented bowls and vessels so far but went along with this one as well. I learn more every time I try a segmented turning.
This one is walnut and cherry and maple .
Two coats of dewaxed shellac as sanding sealer and 4 coats of semi gloss lacquer .
Will buff it after it has cured for a few days.

388985727.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

Beautiful work of art. I can only dream of creating something like that. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks.
They are really not as hard to make as it looks like.
For me the hardest part is getting a decent picture. It looks so much better in the hand . The light color walnut segment at the top is actually the same color as the rest . It is just a reflection.

mrburls

Sweet looking bowl William. We just had a bowl turning meeting Thursday night and was on how to make a segmented bowl. I'm thinking I want to give this a try in a few months when I may have more time.

Keith "mrburls"

W.Y.

On page 4 and 5 of Greg's excellent instructions and tutorial he explained how to do the feature ring . I should have printed it out but instead went out to my shop and did it by memory and made it in a different pattern and set the wrong one aside and made another one as per his original instructions so the finished bowl would be according to his plan.
Then after finishing the first one I turned to plan B and used that wrong feature ring and put it into yelow heart this time instead of maple. Just got it finished off this afternoon .
This segmentation thing is getting addictive and now I will be looking for more new designs and hopefully be able to make some designs of my own.

I didn't have any of the black dyed veneer left so the pieces used in this one are cherry

389059339.jpg

W.Y.

William the Vessel is beautiful, you are getting quite good at making me want to go kick my lathe.

Don't kick your lathe Ken. You will hurt your toe .:biggrin:

It has been lots of fun. Are you going to try one ? Tt is not as hard as it looks..

If we were having any more fun than this we would hardly be able to stand it. :wink:

Here is a picture of both of mine together showing difference in height when using slightly thicker wood.

389065913.jpg

Top Bottom