SegBox April 2012

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WHSKYrvr1

If at all possible, I would like to be last. I have a certification test I am studing every available minute for.

Thanks
Doug

ghostrider

Teaser pic

Before posting the, "what/where", here's a little teaser pic.

:)

Attachments

• IMAG0248.jpg
    IMAG0248.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 148

firewhatfire

Wrap in gauze and coat with thin CA before drilling.

I wouldn't worry too much about it Joe. Like I was saying to Eric earlier today, "I believe it's just the nature of segmented blanks." When I first read one of the tutorials on this site last year for segmenting, it even talks about taping the blank during drilling so it doesn't blow apart. When there is a small amount of surface area to anchor the structural integrity, you're going to have a delicate piece. Just like cross grain blanks are more susceptible to blow out.

Maybe I should wrap mine in plumber's tape before shipment... and then a lead box encased in cement. :tongue:

ghostrider

Wrap in gauze and coat with thin CA before drilling.

I wouldn't worry too much about it Joe. Like I was saying to Eric earlier today, "I believe it's just the nature of segmented blanks." When I first read one of the tutorials on this site last year for segmenting, it even talks about taping the blank during drilling so it doesn't blow apart. When there is a small amount of surface area to anchor the structural integrity, you're going to have a delicate piece. Just like cross grain blanks are more susceptible to blow out.

Maybe I should wrap mine in plumber's tape before shipment... and then a lead box encased in cement. :tongue:
Oh sure, but wouldn't the cement help prevent decay. :biggrin:

Crashmph

FireWhatFire is next on the list. After him, I need another to step up for the SegBox.

Also, I have had a few request to add on some people to the list. After the people listed below have gone, I will add them into the mix. If there are any others that want in on the fun here, just send me a PM and we will work it out.

Michael

Since we are down to the last five, I just listed it to be up for grabs for everyone left.

DonPalese
MarkD
WHSKYrvr1
qballizhere
sumterdad

Last edited:

ghostrider

Crashmph said:
. I'd also like for everyone to include any a before and after pictures so we see some of your work in progress.

Was this supposed to mean, "work" as in before and after turning the pen, or before and after making the blank?

Just asking because I've not seen much of either here so was wondering.

Last edited:

Joe S.

Crashmph said:
. I'd also like for everyone to include any a before and after pictures so we see some of your work in progress.

Was this supposed to mean, "work" as in before and after turning the pen, or before and after making the blank?

As soon as I make some, I'm posting pictures of finished pens on here. But I need to get some kits first:biggrin:

ghostrider

Crashmph said:

As soon as I make some, I'm posting pictures of finished pens on here. But I need to get some kits first:biggrin:
Completed pens?:eek: You mean We're supposed to make pens around here?:tongue:

I have no idea when I'll be using the blanks I choose (especially since I've got orders to fill with the PC). I thought he was talking about the process of making the blank itself. Of course, I suppose I could post pics of me turning a pen, but I've heard that ghosts don't show up well on camera.

Joe S.

Crashmph said:

I have no idea when I'll be using the blanks I choose (especially since I've got orders to fill with the PC). I thought he was talking about the process of making the blank itself. Of course, I suppose I could post pics of me turning a pen, but I've heard that ghosts don't show up well on camera.

I think he WAS talking about the blanks, I just forgot to do that.

ghostrider

Crashmph said:

I think he WAS talking about the blanks, I just forgot to do that.
That's fine. Just don't let it get you thinking that your not posting pics of the pens.:biggrin:

Crashmph

Crashmph said:

It was meant to be a picture of what the blank looked like before turned and after as a pen.

ghostrider

Okay.

Soon off to the PO and will return with a #.

In order.
Box as arrived.
What I took out
What I put in. (There's some excess liquid clay on the outside, but it doesn't penetrate.)

Attachments

• DSCN1258.jpg
    DSCN1258.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 138
  • DSCN1260.jpg
    DSCN1260.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 122
  • DSCN1261.jpg
    DSCN1261.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 148

Crashmph

crashmph - Shipped to 3Peake
3Peake - Shipped to InvisibleMan
InvisibleMan - Shipped to cwolfs69
cwolfs69 - Shipped to truckfixr
truckfixr - Shipped to Brooks803
Brooks803 - Shipped to Buzzzz4
Buzzzz4 - Shipping to PSU1980
PSU1980 - Shipped to Joe S.
Joe S. - Shipped to ghostrider
ghostrider - Shipping to firewhatfire
firewhatfire
- Shipping to sumterdad
sumterdad - Shipping to ???

Unless there are any majority objections from the crowd, I have added a few late arrivals to the SegBox dance.

Who wants the box next?
DonPalese
MarkD
WHSKYrvr1
qballizhere

DestinTurnings
ldubia

PSU1980

I finally got time to turn the blanks that I picked from the segbox. The first pen is the blank made by Buzzzz4. It is Oak and Bubinga with black lines where the woods meet. I'm not sure how he did this, but it looks great. I put it on a chrome clicker because I wanted to show as much as the blank as I could. The second pen is the blank made by InvisibleMan. I don't know what materials were used to make it, but great looking. I put it on a Jr. Retro because I thought the black finale went well with the black rings on the blank. I didn't sand after turning because I was afraid that the dust from the darker wood would bleed into the light wood. Both pens were wet MM'd to 12k and then I used Novus 2 and 3. I am very happy with the fit and finish of both pens and I hope that I did justice to the awesome blanks. C & C, good and bad welcome.

Pictures don't do the pens justice.

Hope everyone is having a safe and happy 4th.

Tim

Attachments

• DSC00829.jpg
    DSC00829.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC00830.jpg
    DSC00830.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC00828.jpg
    DSC00828.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC00820.jpg
    DSC00820.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC00821.jpg
    DSC00821.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC00822.JPG
    DSC00822.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 104

ldubia

ghostrider - Shipping to firewhatfire
firewhatfire
- Shipping to sumterdad
sumterdad - Shipping to ???

Unless there are any majority objections from the crowd, I have added a few late arrivals to the SegBox dance.

Who wants the box next?
DonPalese
MarkD
WHSKYrvr1
qballizhere

DestinTurnings
ldubia

I will take it next if no one else steps up. I have a few things I have been doing. Also some new ideas that are popping into my head. Just have to find time to get them done.

firewhatfire

box finally arrived had to make a repair to a blank in the box and then selected and replaced 2 of the blanks. I have it boxed and need an address of where to send it next. what I took is 1st, what I put back and what is in the box
swapblanks002.jpg

swapblanks001.jpg

swapblanks004.jpg

Crashmph

ghostrider - Shipped to firewhatfire
firewhatfire
- Shipped to sumterdad
sumterdad - Shipped to ldubia
ldubia- Shipping to ???

Batter Up! Who wants the box next?
DonPalese
MarkD
WHSKYrvr1
qballizhere

DestinTurnings

Crashmph

From the original 20 blanks, looks like only 8 of mine are left. I was a bit worried about anyone wanting any of my blanks. I am looking forward to getting the goodies back to me in the end.

InvisibleMan

I finally got time to turn the blanks that I picked from the segbox. The first pen is the blank made by Buzzzz4. It is Oak and Bubinga with black lines where the woods meet. I'm not sure how he did this, but it looks great. I put it on a chrome clicker because I wanted to show as much as the blank as I could. The second pen is the blank made by InvisibleMan. I don't know what materials were used to make it, but great looking. I put it on a Jr. Retro because I thought the black finale went well with the black rings on the blank. I didn't sand after turning because I was afraid that the dust from the darker wood would bleed into the light wood. Both pens were wet MM'd to 12k and then I used Novus 2 and 3. I am very happy with the fit and finish of both pens and I hope that I did justice to the awesome blanks. C & C, good and bad welcome.

Pictures don't do the pens justice.

Hope everyone is having a safe and happy 4th.

Tim

Tim, nice job on these! Sorry, I just clicked on the thread again after being away. I guess that's what happens when you go (almost) first:biggrin:.

My blank is holly, redheart and I think b&w ebony

ldubia

I can't wait to see what the box will have in it when it arrives here. I have several possibilities ready to go in. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

ghostrider

Mine keep breaking...

Do you mean when you are turning them? With segmented blanks I always take it slow and pray the glue holds it together.

Michael
It might also depend on what glue is being used. Don't know if that's it, but just a thought. I know that one of the scallops came off when I was putting it back into the box. Almost like bad adhesion.

Joe S.

Mine keep breaking...

Do you mean when you are turning them? With segmented blanks I always take it slow and pray the glue holds it together.

Michael
It might also depend on what glue is being used. Don't know if that's it, but just a thought. I know that one of the scallops came off when I was putting it back into the box. Almost like bad adhesion.

I haven't used any of the blanks I took out yet. I used woodturningz thick ca for the scallops, but it just occurred to me that I never scuffed the sprite can aluminum with sandpaper... I dropped the cherry and blackwood blank on the bench and it broke in two, I fixed it with the same ca as above but mabye I should of scraped it and started over. This box has been a great learning experience, I ended up with at least 5 of the stairstep design that went to the OOPS! pile.

Joe S.....get some aluminum roof flashing from your local hardware store. A small roll is about $5 and will last you forever. It's only slightly thicker then a can and no more sanding.

My 2¢.

Crashmph

ghostrider - Shipped to firewhatfire
firewhatfire
- Shipped to sumterdad
sumterdad - Shipped to ldubia
ldubia - Shipping to DestinTurnings
DestinTurnings - Shipping to ???

Down to the last few of us left... Who wants the box next?
DonPalese
MarkD
WHSKYrvr1
qballizhere

Crashmph

Joe S.....get some aluminum roof flashing from your local hardware store. A small roll is about $5 and will last you forever. It's only slightly thicker then a can and no more sanding.

My 2¢.

Seconded... I used to use the Arizona Tall Tea cans till I noticed this stuff in the BORG.

Michael

Top Bottom