Sears Pressure Pot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkD

While wandering aimlessly through the mall waiting for my wife last night, I went into Sears and on their clearance rack were two 2- 1/2 Gal pressure pots. One was still in the box and was marked down from $109 to $59. The other looked slightly used and was marked at $69. Since I would like to try my hand at casting some day would these be a good choice ( and price ) for a casting pressure pot?

Here is a link to the Sears webpage:
http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-2-1-2-gal-heavy-duty-paint-tank/p-00916102000P

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkD

That's a good question regarding the gage. I'm not sure about the one in the box but I don't recall seeing a gage on the one that was out of the box.
Since no one has said they are junk I think I may go back and purchase one tomorrow. I'll be sure to look for the gage.

IPD_Mr

Sears website shows it complete with the gage. It is also rated to 80psi which should make it a little safer than the HF pot.

Bobalu

Sears website shows it complete with the gage. It is also rated to 80psi which should make it a little safer than the HF pot.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the Sears pot is probably made in the same Chinese factory as the Harbor Freight. Look at the two side-by-side and you'll see the fittings are all the same, the hinges are all the same, even the reinforcement at the base is the same. About the only thing I see different is the color. HF is gray. Sears is silver.

The HF pot is also rated for a maximum pressure of 80 psi, though they recommend using less in the users manual. That shouldn't be an issue as most casters here claim to use 40 psi or less, if you can believe their posts.:biggrin:

On a high note, I now know where I can get a replacement gasket should I not be able to do so through HF. :wink:

IPD_Mr

Thanks for the info Bob, I had thought the HF was only rated to 50psi. Like you I am sure the Sears model is made in Asia somewhere.

JRay8

since HF has been sold out i stopped by my local sears and picked up their pot. it was marked at $109 but rung up for $63 after tax. i alreadt have it set up with my first cast.

i am losing some pressure around the gasket. anyone have tips for getting a better seal?

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
A coat of Vaseline on both sides of seal and tighten the top down TIGHT! If it's like the h/f you may also experience leaking around the adjuster on the gauge. I loaded mine up with silicone so it couldn't leak and adjust pressure at the compressor. The gauge still functions at the tank.

since HF has been sold out i stopped by my local sears and picked up their pot. it was marked at $109 but rung up for $63 after tax. i alreadt have it set up with my first cast.

i am losing some pressure around the gasket. anyone have tips for getting a better seal?

tt1106

It is used by people who cast resin blanks. It helps in removing air bubbles from the balnks.

I see. Thank you. I happen to have a Campbell Hausfeld, that I've never used for paint.......I knew there was a reason I bought that.

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
Went to one of the local Sears stores in the area today and bought one of the two they had. It was on clearance!!!!
Now I need to see how to use this confound thing....:bulgy-eyes:

clapiana

i purchased one from sears a few months back. they are discontinued and seemed a little bit better then the HF i had also recently purchased. i ended up returning both. the sears leaked pretty bad while the HF i didnt trust after reading all the posts on this forum. i kept my eye on craigslist and found a used binks which i ordered a gasket for and it has been solid.

BSea

I just bought the last one they had at my local Sears. For those that are looking, I found mine on the same isle as the air compressors. Now to turn it into a vacuum pot too.

MarkD

Have any of you guys that recently purchased a sears pressure pot tried it out yet?

I removed the pipe on the inside of the tank, plugged the output whole in the top of the pot and added a ball value an air chuck to the input of the regulator. I did a pressure test with 40 psi. I found a small pinhole leak in the regulator body. In the morning the pressure had dropped to around 30 psi. I'm trying to decide if I should put it all back together and return it or try to plug the pinhole leak in the casting.

JRay8

Have any of you guys that recently purchased a sears pressure pot tried it out yet?

I removed the pipe on the inside of the tank, plugged the output whole in the top of the pot and added a ball value an air chuck to the input of the regulator. I did a pressure test with 40 psi. I found a small pinhole leak in the regulator body. In the morning the pressure had dropped to around 30 psi. I'm trying to decide if I should put it all back together and return it or try to plug the pinhole leak in the casting.

i got one. i removed the regulator. i put a ball valve in one hole and a pressure gauge on the other (hard to see because of angle in photo). works like a champ.

228891_257843117561230_228283643850511_1074595_165838_n.jpg

MarkD

I'll probably end up doing something very similar. If you pressurize your tank and close the ball value will it hold the same pressure for awhile, say overnight?

JRay8

I'll probably end up doing something very similar. If you pressurize your tank and close the ball value will it hold the same pressure for awhile, say overnight?

Yes, it does hold over night. Per a suggestion here i did pur some vasalene on the rubber gasket to get it to seal.

Jamie Fowler

I am brand new at this pen turning, and I am having a blast.
I just picked up mine tonight at the Fort Collins, CO store. They had 5 in stock and they are marked at $43. Once they are gone, they are gone. I can't wait to get started casting. This pen turning is too addicting. Thanks to all of you for all of you guidance. Lets just works out the way I plan. But if not, it is just another reason to keep trying for improvement.

MarkD

I was able to reuse the pressure gauge that originally came with my tank. I now have the pressure gauge and pressure relief value in one of the original holes in the top and a ball value with an air chuck in the other hole. I lubed the gasket with vasaline. It holds pressure good now.

Top Bottom