Maximum pressure???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PedroDelgado

Hello everyone,
What is the maximum pressure recommended to stabilize blanks and have them come like the ones in the "group of five picture"? Is there a chance that if I use too much pressure the blanks may come out like the "single one" picture?
Thanks in advance.
PD

Attachments

• wbox1080-alt1.jpg
    wbox1080-alt1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 207
  • Cherry_Burl.jpg
    Cherry_Burl.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 156
  • $(KGrHqQOKpkE4nKyMig!BOUrOfg9Z!~~48_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqQOKpkE4nKyMig!BOUrOfg9Z!~~48_12.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 196
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
If your stabilizing, you don't want to use pressure, you want vacuum, and as close to 29" of vacuum as possible until the blank quits bubbling.
What you are seeing in the picture is not stabilizing, but casting. In casting you want a good pressure pot and pressurize it to 40-50 PSI, or no more than the recommended pressure of the pot you are using.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
The single one is fine. The ones in the group have been "cleaned up". If that blank pictured is in that cast pictured, the pen will turn out fine I would guess.

PedroDelgado

I think I asked the wrong question. I want my blanks to come out like the group of five, not like the single blank. Is the single blank dyed? So from what I gather is that even if I use pressure my blanks will not turn out like the Blue one (blank by itself), correct?

jason_r

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes. I believe the single blank appears to be a dyed, stabilized blank of either boxelder or maple burl. The group of 5 blanks appear to be worthless wood treatments. The resin used in casting will not penetrate significantly into the wood.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes. I believe the single blank appears to be a dyed, stabilized blank of either boxelder or maple burl. The group of 5 blanks appear to be worthless wood treatments. The resin used in casting will not penetrate significantly into the wood.
Jason's long answer is dead on.
So if you want your blank to look like the group of 5, you need to pressure cast using colored PR or Alumilite.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
If you are looking to pressure cast using the wood shown, I would suggest using Alumilite to help maintain solid contact between the wood and the resin, less resin shrinkage..

Top Bottom