Seam Rippers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from nightowl

nightowl

Has anyone tried some of these kits? I have turned three or four and they seem to be popular attractions but I have trouble getting the 'O' rings to fit in the brass tube of the blank. I actually tore one yesterday an am not sure if I can find one that size. Any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bugmerc

I had sort of the same problem, I got them on OK, but it would not fit in the tube. I actually broke one trying to get it into the brass. I walked into the store with it and they sprayed some Tri-Flo lube on it and it worked great.
When I asked about a new O ring he said he would order some. Not sure if you have a local Woodcraft store, but that's where I got mine.

walshjp17

I have done several of these things. The O-rings are a PITA. I have since switched to the seam rippers sold by PSI. Some of my earlier o-ring rippers were hard to open/close by the folks who bought them because of arthritis. The PSI SRs use a spring clip to hold the rippers in place which is much easier to insert and withdraw. PSI also hasa, in addition to the individual SR sold by Woodcraft, a double ended SR with one large and one small SR. They also sell a magnetic version that is on a necklace. Additionally they sell a stiletto which quilters use to bunch and hold material.

My sister is a quilter and my best sales person. I have sold quite a few of the PSI models. In fact, I am now selling the double ended rippers with the small (or large) SR in one side and the stiletto in the other. It is my top seller.

nava1uni

I make seam rippers without using a kit. It is very easy, less expensive. This allows the end to be easily replaced if the small ball comes off, which happens often to seam rippers.

Martin G

I polish the inside of the brass tube and put a little mineral oil on the o-rings. Also, I found that I was trying too hard. I gave one to my sister for Christmas, telling her that it was sometimes hard to fit. She did it gently and had no trouble at all.

Top Bottom