Schmidt Cartridge Rollerball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Very quickly before the IS team figures out that I am online at work. I really hate that this thread will get closed Dean. I was able to hand tighten one of the roller converters into one of the new Artisan's last night almost perfectly and planned on testing some more tonight to see if it is a fluke or not. This is a good thread and it won't be moved to Advanced for several days. So long as everyone is being civil I don't see a need for any of us to request this being closed actually.
Mrs.

Linda - I'm sort of ok with that. I'm open to more information, but I don't want this to turn into a yes it works/no it doesn't battle. With the stock item and the aftermarket one having different threads, it will take third party info (not you/Mike and not me) to drastically alter my view of this working stock. So - please understand and don't take it personally if you can't alter my view.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
As long as we can keep this thread on topic, I see no reason to close it. Dean is on this thread as a member of the IAP and someone who is interested in this topic and he has stated that clearly.

soligen

I though this thread at one point was headed in a poor direction, but I'm pleased that it veered back. I think it has gone beyond a review, but thats OK with me - lots of good info here.

I think the reason this inexpensive item is getting so much attention is that it has the potential for us to introduce an inherently different kind of pen to our lines. It _could_ be a bit of a game changer if we can find the right way (for each of us individually) to use it.

I'm sure private reserve sees it as a potential way to sell more ink - some people dont want the "hassle" of a FP

ldb2000

These roller writers are great writing nibs , they lay down a nice fine wet line and write very smoothly but personally I will only use them in my kitless work . I think they look "Fugly" when used on the metal sections of kit pens . I bought some of them from Richard when he first introduced them and have made several pens with them and given them to friends to test for me and after about 6 months or so the only major complaints are that they are a PITA to clean out to use a different color ink . Some of the minor complaints are that they use a half of a cartridge to fill the chamber , one developed a leak at the vent hole and they do dry out if not capped tightly and are very difficult to clean if they do dry out , in fact one had to be scrapped because I couldn't get it to flow without skipping after cleaning out the dried ink .
As for the threading into the kit grips , I feel that close enough is not right for any pen I build , if it don't fit right I won't use it for that application , but that's just my sickness . I would advise that if you use these you should use the inner cap to seal the nib even in a screw cap pen . It is best to seal the nibs as tightly as possible to avoid the ink drying out in the section since they are so difficult to clean , IMHO .
Overall I will eventually be adding them to my line of pens on a regular basis .

KenV

Butch -- Sorry to be so late to respond but have been traveling from Alaska to Arizona arriving late yesterday.

My wife has been using the Berea Baron for the last 3 weeks with great success. I do not know the platform you used, but on the Baron, the appearance is quite acceptable/attractive. I will acknowledge that I am not a fountain pen affectionado, and probably can be considered a barbarian by those who are.

I am viewing these rolling righters as being a consumable product like a rollerball refill that are good while they work and replaced when they have a problem. At under $3 they are priced about the same as a better quality Schmidt roller ball refill.

In a desk pen configuration with a nib, a couple of rolling righters, a supply of ink, etc looks to be a pretty nice setup for most anyone who makes active use of pens. We are not talking about cheap, but rather a nice upscale gift or reward.

One can package it with interchangable nib ends and both roller ball and fountain pen ink options.

PenMan1

Here's the deal. I've put three of these units in three pens and given them to good costomers as a "test unit". All three ruined $100 shirts in less than a month. I could get a "pope's warranty to get into heaven if I buy one of these turds, I'LL STILL NEVER SELL OR GIVE AWAY ANOTHER OF THESE!

The threads DO NOT have the same pitch as anything I sell, or can get. The closest match is a tap I bought for Heritance nibs. It is not a precise match, ever then. What is this obsession with PURE CRAP? We are smarter than this, folks. This product is NOT reliable!

I sign my pen box and put a maker's mark on my pens. I make a diligent effort to obtain the best parts available......THIS AIN'T ONE OF THEM.....BEWARE!!!!!

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

Andy don't hold back, tell us what you really think.....
Here's the deal. I've put three of these units in three pens and given them to good costomers as a "test unit". All three ruined $100 shirts in less than a month. I could get a "pope's warranty to get into heaven if I buy one of these turds, I'LL STILL NEVER SELL OR GIVE AWAY ANOTHER OF THESE!

The threads DO NOT have the same pitch as anything I sell, or can get. The closest match is a tap I bought for Heritance nibs. It is not a precise match, ever then. What is this obsession with PURE CRAP? We are smarter than this, folks. This product is NOT reliable!

I sign my pen box and put a maker's mark on my pens. I make a diligent effort to obtain the best parts available......THIS AIN'T ONE OF THEM.....BEWARE!!!!!

PenMan1

That was holding back, Roy! My customers who enjoy the elegance of fountains are willing to endure the "extras" to get that beautiful flow of ink. My rollerball customers want superior ink flow without the hassles that comes with fountain ownership. This"converter" combines the worst of both of these world AND it leaks worse than a Schafer!

IMHO, this is the worst thing for pen making since "upgrade gold"

Respectfully submitted.

KenV

Andy -- perchance did they put them into a pocket without putting the cap on. Rollerballs have stained more than a few shirts, and some of the gel form of parker style refills will wick ink if left extended (I have the shirt to show it).

These little devices do not change the properties of fountain pen ink -- it will wick into fabric quickly if allowed to do so.

The limited test I have been doing does not show any leaks in the pen.

More details on what the situations were for your three tests???

Top Bottom