Save or replace this skew?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wortmanb

When I bought my lathe at a garage sale, it came with a set of Harbor Freight chisels. The 1" skew seemed loose to me, so I wasn't about to use it and, one afternoon, gave it a sharp pull just out of curiosity. Sure enough, it came right out of the handle.

Would you save it or replace it? They're not Sorbys, but they get the job done for me right now. And I'm not sure I'd use a 1" skew that much for pens, but you just never know. Other projects, maybe.

If you'd save it, how? Epoxy the handle back onto the shaft? Or is there a better way?

Thanks!

8373556333_7725b91915.jpg

8374629472_0d77860554.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

You have to be kidding???:) You don't throw tools out because they fall out of the handle. The very least you can do is epoxy it back. You can also turn a new handle if you don't like that one. That is what a lathe can do.

One thing I would do with that skew is knock off those edges. They will dig into your toolrest. 1" skew is a good tool to turn pens with. Nothing wrong with it. Bigger sweet spot as opposed to a 1/2" skew.

Tools like that are good tools to learn shapening on so if you are going to chuck it is a waste. Use it man.

seamus7227

im not a huge fan of gorilla glue, but this definitely makes a great candidate for the use of it! The reason being when you put a little spritz of water down in that hole and wipe on a nice thick coat of gorilla glue over that skew tang, shove it in the hole and let it sit for a few days, the glue will expand and fill the voids in that hole and give you a nice tight fit. Definitely worth saving to me too!

Dale Allen

Make a new handle if that one does not allow the iron to rest straight and true. Or, drill it out to make it so. +1 on the gorilla glue.
Also, you may find, as I have, that these tools make good seldom used special form tools. Grind on them to make any kind of special pattern that may be a one time shot.

wortmanb

Thanks! The only reason I was considering scrapping it was safety -- I've seen the videos of bowl gouges snapping and doing major damage, and was afraid this tool might do the same.

I'll be re-gluing it this week, and if that doesn't work, I may try turning my own handle. Might make a nice change from all the pens!

Top Bottom