Sandpaper Multi-pack tips

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wmcullen

I'm a big fan of these "multi-pack" rolls of sandpaper.
It took a few cycles to discover the best way for me to use them. Sharing in case it's interesting...

Tip 1: Don't disassemble the box to take off the rubber bands... just cut the suckers off.
a1.jpg

Tip 2: Put one scissor blade on the roll and feed the end out of the slit.
a2.jpg

Tip 3: Cut the slit wider to get sandpaper out more easily.
a3.jpg

Tip 4: Personally, I think it's easiest to keep the sandpaper on the roll and thread behind my pen.
a4.jpg

Pros:
- Holding the box above my pen, it's fairly efficient and easy to work from low to high grit.
- I clamp the top of the roll with my thumb and can get good tension on the sandpaper.
- I use 100% of the sandpaper.
Cons:
- At first I worried the roll could grab and be pulled by the turning pen. This has never happened but I'm fairly careful. Use your own best judgment.

Tip 5: When I give the roll a "haircut" I leave a little used space to act as a place to hold the next time.
a5.jpg

Tip 6: I go through certain grits faster than others. You can buy single rolls at Exotic Blanks or Rockler and then disassemble the box to replace it.

Thank for looking
- Cullen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

d_bondi

Great tips, the one(s) that surprised me are 5&6 and in a good way because it significantly eliminates the waste.

When I started I go the red metal holder that has the clear plastic "cartridges" that hold the sandpaper. I have been buying the packages you show when they are on sale, and then disassembling them and using the individual roles to refill my plastic "cartridges".

But now, you got me thinking about the waste... :eek:šŸ˜¢

EDIT/Clarification:
You definitely got me thinking, but I should have stated that I have safety concerns and will also will not be using the sandpaper while still in the box or connected to the roll, especially since I am using that red metal holder. But, I DO still appreciate the suggestions as they get me thinking.

Last edited:

RKB

Cullen, you have certainly contributed many innovative and 'out of the box' ideas on IAP over the years, thank you. However I don't think this one is such a good idea. I certainly won't be using this technique.

Wmcullen

Thanks Rod. That's fair. I assume you're referring to using the sandpaper while still in the box. I agree, this can be tricky and I only share as something I do. Safety is paramount and I appreciate you calling this out as something that could be done unsafely.

Reactions: RKB

Drewby108

I like the ideas you presented, but as others have stated, the box holding could be a safety concern.

I wonder if there is a way to "lock" the roll so it can't spool out. Maybe something for somebody with a 3d printer to play with as an attachment that fits into the groove in the box.

Woodchipper

I got the sandpaper set from Woodcraft. Gravity keeps the rolls from spinning free. Rubber bands weren't in the box. Now...if we could find a solution to toilet paper from unrolling.

walshjp17

For the man who is famous for his "out of the box" ideas for pen turning, it is refreshing to see an "inside the box" idea for once. ;)

RunnerVince

@d_bondi The red metal holder from PSI has six grits, whereas the others I've seen only have five. The only place I've been able to find the 800 grit rolls is from PSI. I can find the others cheaper elsewhere, but since I have to order the 800 grit from PSI and pay shipping anyway, I normally just buy from PSI. That way I also know the strips are all from the same manufacturer, and I don't have to worry about variation between manufacturers.

Does anyone know a place to get the 800 grit rolls, other than PSI? Particularly somewhere that has free shipping, or at least doesn't charge $10 or more for any order of any size, like PSI seems to lately.

d_bondi

@d_bondi The red metal holder from PSI has six grits, whereas the others I've seen only have five. The only place I've been able to find the 800 grit rolls is from PSI. I can find the others cheaper elsewhere, but since I have to order the 800 grit from PSI and pay shipping anyway, I normally just buy from PSI. That way I also know the strips are all from the same manufacturer, and I don't have to worry about variation between manufacturers.

Does anyone know a place to get the 800 grit rolls, other than PSI? Particularly somewhere that has free shipping, or at least doesn't charge $10 or more for any order of any size, like PSI seems to lately.

Vince, you are 100% correct.

I got both the 5 roll pack and the 800 grit from PSI. I remember that the 5 roll packs was a set of 2 and that it was a sale. I don't recall if there was a discount on the 800 grit. Somehow I got free shipping. Must have been last year's Black Friday or something.

I still use this on some materials, but in the past maybe 6 months have switched my process to one of the following depending on material:
  1. Using Abernet. I think it cuts better and it doesn't load up and corn like standard sandpaper does.
  2. Using a foam backed 3" sanding wheel in my battery drill. I use 240, 400, 800 with the lathe on about 1000 rpm and the drill between 1000and 1700 rpm. I got this idea from Bob Blanford (RJBWoodturner on YouTube) and really like it as it leaves far fewer sanding scratches/artifacts. The one thing I'd like to do to improve this is to find some 320 and 600 grit as skipping grits can leave those pesly scratches/artifacts.

Top Bottom