Salt box

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from reefboy1

reefboy1

Hi all,

My latest creation based on Greg's instructions. The body is curly maple and the lid is Chechen. Walnut oil finish on exterior only. Interior is unfinished. Brass tube hinge and magnetic hinge.

1_Saltbox_small.jpg

Art

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

angboy

Wow, being a collector of salt cellars, this of course caught my eye. I have a collection that my parents started me on when I was a toddler and it's currently close to 500! Salt boxers are slightly different, but still ahve a similar use and the little darlings just appeal to me so much. Very nice job!

reefboy1

Thanks everyone!

Angela - whats a salt cellar?

Cindy - I'm not sure about mineral oil on the interior. In the threads I've read most people are not finishing the interior. I guess I can always put a finish on if I see some issues :) I have a bamboo salt box that I bought years ago that is unfinished and still looks great.

I'm going to make a few more - such fun.

Art

angboy

Art, salt cellars are little dishes- kind of like what you made, only usually without the lid. They're what people used to have at their place setting before salt shakers were invented. Typically about 1-2", usually round, although sometimes funky shapes, and then there were master salts, which would be the larger version, that stocked everyone at the table. They're most often made out of glass.

Top Bottom