Road trip from hell

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

I just got back from a 6000 mile road trip in my little Rialta motorhome. To begin with, rodents of some sort got under the hood and ate the wires to my cruise control. Another Rialta owner in New Mexico said he had fixed the problem before, and knew where the wires were supposed to connect, so I started my trip with a trip to NM. He had me fixed up in about half an hour. (My local mechanic had no idea where the other end of the wires were, since they had been chewed off up inside one of the wire wraps.)

I then continued on to OK where I spent a week visiting with my brother. While there I went to visit an old friend who assured me her cough was not contagious, and was just a lingering cough after having double pneumonia. She was wrong.

I started on to CT on the 3rd of July. On the morning of the 4th, I woke up with a cough and a sore throat. Early that morning, just outside of Louisville KY, I was caught up in a multi car chain reaction accident in a heavy rainstorm. My motorhome now need a nose job. Fortunately it was all just body work/cosmetic damage. Only problem was that the hood was jammed on to the windshield wipers and it was raining cats and dogs. I sat on the side of the freeway for 8 hours while they tried to find a flatbed wrecker willing to go out on a holiday to rescue me. My rig was driveable, but without wipers, I couldn't see. Finally a local "mom and pop" RV repair shop came out and used a crowbar to pry the hood off the wipers so I could follow them back to their shop, where they set me up with electricity and water for the night so I could run the AC. Next day they got the hood open and discovered that the upper radiator bracket had been pushed back just enough for the fan to touch a water line. They repaired the line and tied it back out of harm's way, strapped down the hood, and sent me on my way. By now I'm coughing up green gorp and running a fever.

I got to CT a day late, and went to a local urgent care. Acute bacterial bronchitis, sinus infection and conjunctivitis. It took three different antibiotics to get the infection knocked down.

I took my new laser engraver with me, and my grandsons (age 11 and 15) installed it and used it all the time I was there. I never did get a chance to use it myself.

Two weeks later, I was marginally fit to head for home, after cancelling the third planned stop in Colorado. I made it home in 5 days...550 miles a day...and spent the next three days recovering from the trip.

Now I'm trying to find parts for a 1997 Eurovan to replace the hood, upper and lower grill, bumper and upper radiator support on my motorhome. She has her nose seriously out of joint!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

Wow, road trip from hell is right. Glad you made it back home and got a few days of rest. I've had some interesting trips but nothing like yours.

stonepecker

Happy you are home safe. Get better first and then worry about the RV. I will assume that the accident wasn't your fault. Give the work to a local body person you trust and let the other guy worry about the bill. That is what insurance is for.

Hope the rest of your summer is better.

sbwertz

Happy you are home safe. Get better first and then worry about the RV. I will assume that the accident wasn't your fault. Give the work to a local body person you trust and let the other guy worry about the bill. That is what insurance is for.

Hope the rest of your summer is better.

It was nobody's fault, just bad weather and bad luck. No one was cited. My insurance will have to cover it, but they are all 1997 VW Eurovan parts...should be easy to find in salvage yards, and not too expensive. I slid into the back of a garbage truck. The little Rialta is about 6000 lbs and runs on 4 light truck tires...just not enough rubber on the road to shut it down fast on wet pavement. Plus the fact that it was raining so hard we were unable to tell, at first, that the traffic ahead of us was stopping, not just slowing down. There was a big multi car accident about a hundred yards ahead of me, and four chain reaction accidents behind that one. I was very lucky though. I ALMOST stopped so the damage was just to sheet metal (and fiberglass). and the big jacked up pickup behind me stopped with at least 3 inches to spare! If he had hit the back of the coach, they would have totaled it for sure, since it is 19 years old.

This is a Rialta...not mine, though

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1997_Volkswagen_Winnebago_Rialta_(16640398803).jpg

They are fairly rare, and very much in demand...took me two years to find mine. I flew to Colorado and bought it and drove it back to Phoenix three years ago. I have to keep a sign in the back window saying it is NOT for sale or I get people knocking on my door about once a week wanting to buy it. (I even found a note on it yesterday in a parking lot from someone wanting to buy it even with the nose crunched.) They haven't been manufactured for 11 years.

Here is what mine looks like now!

0705160825.jpg

2Q==

Last edited:
Top Bottom