Rikon Motor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

My Rikon motor is making a humming/clicking noise. It's only a couple months old. I have been able to hand turn the wheel and it clicks about every turn. Lately it's been more of a hum. It works fine, it's just annoying (really annoying). I have tried blowing the motor clean with an air compressor. Does anyone know what this could be?

I know I could call Rikon for help, but they will probably just send me a new motor (which is not all bad), but it may be an easy fix too. So that is why I'm asking here first. If all else fails, I will call them.

Randy_

Might be a loose drive pulley or a defective belt. Are you sure it it the motor and not something in the headstock? To be sure it is the motor, you need to disconnect the belt from the pulleys first and then run the motor without driving the HS.

Calling RIKON would still be a good idea. There may be some common problem/solution they know about that the few Rikon owners here might not be aware of.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
The clicking sounds like the set screw in one pulley isn't tight.

Like Randy said, take off the belt and you'll know whether it is in the motor or the
headstock. If the set screw isn't tight in the flat of the shaft, it can 'click' as it
goes around.

bdonald

The clicking sounds like the set screw in one pulley isn't tight.

Like Randy said, take off the belt and you'll know whether it is in the motor or the
headstock. If the set screw isn't tight in the flat of the shaft, it can 'click' as it
goes around.

I have a problem with the bottom (motor) pulley on my rikon, was doing the same thing. That set screw just didnt want to catch. It was out of warantee, but I still called Rikon. The guy told me to try locktite on it <I believe the blue one, it's not as permanent>, and havent had a problem since. Gotta make sure the pulley is set right though, turn the lathe on it's side to get to it. Too bad it worked, I was ready to order Penn State's VS motor if it didnt, but it took my reason away :)

Top Bottom