Reversible Screwdriver

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from LeeR

LeeR

I needed a break from pens, deciding I needed to try a bigger project, so I decided to make this reversible screwdriver handle. Rockler sells a kit for this for about $8-9, but I went the cheap route and bought some reversible screwdrivers from Home Depot. These are Buck Brothers, and sell for $2.97. Harbor Freight used to have similar ones, but they made the handle fancier, and raised the price.

I saw this project in a woodturning magazine last Fall (Woodturningz?)

I used a Dremel tool with cutoff blade, and cut the handle just past the molded-in socket that holds the shaft. The I cut a slice along the length, and split the plastic. The socket popped right out. Note: These sockets vary in size, dependin on the brand you find. Some require a 5/8" hole, and for this one, I'd used 9/16" the next time. The socket pushed in pretty easily, but it is epoxied and solidly anchored, but a smaller hole would provide a slightly better grip.

The blank is laminated padauk, ash, and purple heart. Ferrule is a length of copper pipe, polished with 0000 steel wool.

The "grooves" were cut with a homemade 1/16" parting tool, and wire-burned to make them black. Finish is simple friction polish.

Fun project, and I'm probably making a number of these for Christmas gifts this year.

Attachments

• r-s-1.jpg
    r-s-1.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 287
  • r-s-2.jpg
    r-s-2.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LeeR

Bruce,

Thanks for the tip! I was going to make another to back out screws, since this once was meant for driving them in!

I just love all the great advice on IAP ... :)

ctubbs

Dang it Bruce, that was mu line. I just have to learn to read faster. Great idea with the screwdriver. I'll have to give it a run.
Charles

Woodlvr

Very nice job Lee. I like the looks of your handle, I am guessing that you did the glue up on the blank also?

LeeR

Very nice job Lee. I like the looks of your handle, I am guessing that you did the glue up on the blank also?

Thanks Mike. Yes, I did glue up the blank. I am pretty new to turning, but I've been making cutting boards and platters for a few years, using lots of dirrent hardwoods. I have so many "scraps" left over, that I've been making my own pen blanks from the start. I had some narrow strips of the ash and purple heart, so I glued those together. The piece of padauk I had was as wide as the two-piece glue-up, so I added it. It worked out better than I thought. The pieces were also about 16" long, so I ended up with enough to make two screwdrivers. Having a jointer and a planer really helps, by the way!

The funny thing is that I had to buy a bed extension for my Rikon lathe. With a Nova chuck in the headstock, and a drill chuck and bit in the tailstock to bore the hole, I had absolutely no space left to mount the blank!

This project was a really good excuse to lengthen my lathe ...

:)

Last edited:

Texatdurango

Umm Lee, I hate to tell you this, but all of my screwdrivers are reversable. Instead of turning it clockwise I just turn it counter clockwise. :)

I never thought of that!

THIS is what I love about this forum...... you never know what you'll learn!

For years I've been carrying around two screw drivers so if I have to back a screw out, I'm prepared with the proper tool.

One tip I can provide for those not fortunate to have a fancy reversable driver.... I paint my tips "green for in" or "red for out", that way I can quickly grab the right driver, even in low light situations!

Nice looking driver Lee, the burned line adds just the right touch.......... I think I'll visit Home Depot and see if I can find some.

Woodlvr

When you have too many of those ash and purple heart scraps let me know and I will send you some nice blanks in exchange if you are ever interested.

George- thanks for the paint tip- I guess that I will have to go to Home Depot on Monday for paint as I keep getting my ends confused- BUT I have been a Blonde all of my life:eek::biggrin:

Lenny

That's pretty nice for a "right hand" version! :biggrin:

Now to make a left handed one, ... those are tricky!:wink:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Bruce,

Thanks for the tip! I was going to make another to back out screws, since this once was meant for driving them in!

I just love all the great advice on IAP ... :)

do NOT let him fool you... you simply use it with the other hand.

Woodlvr

"do NOT let him fool you... you simply use it with the other hand" Now that is funny. But what if my left arm does not work?

BSea

You guys make everything so difficult. Everybody already knows all you have to do is go below the equator. Everything goes counter clockwise down there.:rolleyes:

Oh, and BTW, nice work. :highfive:

bad

You guys make everything so difficult. Everybody already knows all you have to do is go below the equator. Everything goes counter clockwise down there.:rolleyes:

Are you kidding me? Do you have any idea how much travel that would involve for a Canadian?

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader

Are you kidding me? Do you have any idea how much travel that would involve for a Canadian?

not to mention they'd have to talk backwards.

... hey .. wait a minute... :tongue:

Top Bottom