Reverse Painting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dplloyd

How do you 'reverse paint'??

Is there a certain kind of blank that needs this done??

What other painting techniques are out there??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buzzzz4

I use Krylon spray paint. It seems to hold up well to the heat of CA. Some use Tester's paint. I have found this to not dry as fast as I would like. Krylon is ready within a half hour.

I'm with those above who generally (almost always) paint plastic blanks. I painted blanks either black or white until recently. I had some blanks that might not be served well by black or white paint so, after reading about it here, I went to the local craft store and got a package of acrylics in different colors and some good brushes. And I gotta say that the results are good. I paint both the tube and the blank.

One thing to note is that the tube is the thing that holds the kit together. The bond between the tube and the blank is important during turning. It needs to be strong but not awesome strong. I've had no failures.

reiddog1

I've just switched from spray paint to testers and the difference was night and day for me. Yes the testers take longer to dry, but IMHO, it performs much better. I use a qtip to paint the blanks and even tint the epoxy the same color. Works great for me.

Dave

anthonyd

I use acrylic paint from Michaels, a craft store up here in Canada.
I usually use the FolkArt or DecoArt Metallic acrylic brands. I find that the metallic types give a richer finish. There are many colours which make it easy to colour match the more transparent blanks. A couple of good brushes also help create a nice finish. I just reverse paint the blanks and not the tubes when I use these paints and have had no problems when used with epoxy.

Tony

firewhatfire

the brand that seems to work best for me is Delta Ceramacoat. here are 4 identical blanks with 4 different colors.
reversepaintingdifference002.jpg

pianomanpj

I use Ceramcoat to paint the inside of the tube. I use long pipe cleaners to paint the inside. Make sure to "defuzz" them before use, however, or you'll end up with fibers in the paint. You can remove the loose fuzz by running them through your hand or a cloth a number of times.

I use epoxy to glue in my tubes, and I tint that with Testor's. It doesn't take much enamel paint to make the epoxy opaque, and I find that the epoxy cures almost as fast as non-tinted epoxy. This is a great way of hiding any potential air bubble or voids in the adhesive that might otherwise be visible with a translucent blank.

I no longer paint the tubes as that just adds too much thickness for my liking. Besides, the painted blank AND tinted epoxy has never left me with with any bare brass showing ever.

I will, on occasion, use a colored Sharpie to tint the brass tube. It adds nothing to the thickness of the tube, while it adds another layer of "protection" from the dreaded brass shiny spots. YMMV :)

Last edited:

Chasper

My method:
1. Paint the inside of the blanks with acrylic paint, any brand works the same.
2. Match the blank color with the paint unless I specifically want to change the color.
3. Use q-tips for a paint brush after defuzzing the inside of the blank.
4. Use thick CS to glue tubes into blanks, I've never had a slip failure.
5. Never paint the tubes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information guys... this thread just saved me some money too since I now know I don't have to buy those more expensive dyes to swab the inside of a blank with.

JCochrun

Sorry for the dumb question but here goes.....When the blank is a solid color, the paint color is simple to determine. What do you do when the blank has multiple colors on it? What color would you paint the inside of the blank? I had one that was blue and white and the tube showed just a little. The kit finish was gold so it matched really well.

Jim

Xander

Sorry for the dumb question but here goes.....When the blank is a solid color, the paint color is simple to determine. What do you do when the blank has multiple colors on it? What color would you paint the inside of the blank? I had one that was blue and white and the tube showed just a little. The kit finish was gold so it matched really well.

Jim
Just my opinion....

I use a color that matches the blank. If there are more than 2 colors I'd paint to match the lighter color. So with the Blue/White example,... I'd reverse paint white.

I think if you painted it black it would 'dull' the white.

Like I said, just my opinion and I'm no expert.

Last edited:

Jim

Flip a coin :wink: I just choose the one I want to be the "prominent" color and paint it that color.

Top Bottom