Reusing sierra blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beck3906

I have s number of sierras tubed blanks that cannot be remade using oops ideas. Is there any kind of other kit where I could trim these blanks down and reuse? Something like a keychain?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

I don't know that we can answer particularly to your question of reusing them without seeing them....that will be your decision.

I have used Sierra tubes on Woodcraft's toothpick holder/keyring kit. I recall that the Sierra tubes just a tad shorter than the toothpick holder tube but works. I have used inlay kits (piano keys) as well as NFL bottle cap cast blanks on these.

bkersten

I have s number of sierras tubed blanks that cannot be remade using oops ideas. Is there any kind of other kit where I could trim these blanks down and reuse? Something like a keychain?

Yes, you can do keyrings:). The keyring tubes that I have used will CA to the inside of the Siearas and the keyring ends will press right in. Since the ring ends will cover both tubes they will not come out even if the CA lossens. Just be quick though in getting the tube in before takes hold. You just have to use the keyring bushings and watch the turned end size. So far, I have had no problems. Bob

beck3906

The reason I'm looking for alternative uses is that some of these are circuit board blanks that had a significant chip off the end during turning. Adding an oops band just wouldn't look right. Turning off the circuit board doesn't seem logical if I could re-purpose the sierra blank. While I've turned a number of circuit board blanks, these seemed to be more "chippy" than others.

I'll measure the amount that's still good and see if I can use a sierra grip which has a shorter tube length. Looked up the tube lengths in the pen kit charts...very handy. :)

Also will look for the key chain mentioned above.

Thanks for the

magpens

If you go to the Pensar kit, the required blank length is not much shorter than the Sierra twist. Here are some numbers:

Sierra twist tube length = 2.205"

Pensar tube length = 0.961" (there are two of them the same length)
Pensar center band thickness = 0.158"

Pensar made as a single tube pen requires a tube which is:

2 x 0.961" + 0.158" = 2.080"

This is shorter than the Sierra twist by only 2.205" - 2.080" = 0.125"

This idea might work depending on the extent of the chippy ends on the Sierra blank.

Top Bottom